Best way to advertise?

3 replies to this topic

#1 cheeseybrain

cheeseybrain

• 126 posts

User

• LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:22

I've had a channel for quite a while now and so far I just go on chat pages and apps that I go on frequently a paste something along the lines of: 

Hey check out this gaming channel with tonnes of variety and over 5000 subscribers! https://www.youtube..../TheGameGateway The latest video is the stanley parable!  

I've tried sending videos to steam friends, skype friends, blog about it etc, but nothing seems to help for a long period, I get an extra 4 or 5 views a video each time I do it, but it's not worth it.

Is there a better way to advertise?

#2 Blackheart

Blackheart

• 4,704 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:56

Going to be legit, unless you've got something special, you're going to have a hard time getting anywhere among the thousands of people like you. 

In any case, reddit etc.

• FRAG likes this

#3 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:52

Giveaways.
React to other YouTubers.

Prank people by being a dick to them.
Just kidding.

Most serious advice I can give you is this: Would you watch your own videos, if they weren't yours?

You can't think of it as a one-way street, you need to create content that you not only love to create but content you enjoy yourself.

There are several orders of magnitude of subscriber count before you should really be thinking about doing things just because people want you to.

Still though, I'm impressed and riddled as to how you got to 5000 subscribers when your 3 most viewed videos have 9000, 1500, and 300 views respectively.

I know channels, including my own, who have a fraction of the subs but a huge amount more views.

If you really care about fame that much, you should try and make videos that are topical or have clickbait titles, supplemented by posting them on Reddit with even more clickbaitey titles. You could always include a facecam and overreact to everything that happens in a game. Have your end goal in mind. YouTube is a terrible career choice.

My most specific advice for your channel:
Avoid making Let's plays and try and focus on montages with the content less thinly spread.

Another obvious strategy is to make videos with other YouTubers, advertising each other in the process.

• FRAG likes this

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#4 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:46

You need to target your audience with a lot of accuracy. I can already tell the problem just with the title of the video you posted: in one hand you try to appeal to a mature audience by writing the title in a formal manner (capitals on the first letter of the right words) and not abusing marks like "!", and on the other hand, you clearly appeal to a non-mature audience with the "n00b" word and its spelling. You should either go for "The Stanley Parable Noob" or "A Noob in The Stanley Parable" or just go "NOOB!!! [THE STANLEY PARABLE]".

Be tactical about your audience, and you will definitely improve your chances. Getting the wrong audience to watch your videos will only get you dislikes.

Do not be afraid of being silly, immature or "memey" if you think it'll make you more popular. A lot of YouTubers went that way and became extremely successful. If you fear you're overdoing it, listen to the comments.

Edit:

If you want to try your chance with a mature audience, you could try posting on the Facepunch Forums.

Also important tip: making 30 minute videos might not be the best way to start. If you want to get recognition, it's easier to make people want to watch a vid if it's short.
The most patient man in the world

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users