PSA

30 replies to this topic

#1 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 23 September 2015 - 23:11

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the second update of LDT’s relaunch program! (part one here) With this post we would like to keep you involved and inform you of our progress and status.

RETREAT

First and foremost, you might or might not have noticed that the servers are offline. This would make a lot of sense seeing as we literally pulled it from the rack and it’s sitting comfortably in our home for the time being. We will use the next couple of days to perform some maintenance and preparations before we move our beloved box to its new home in another datacenter sometime next week. This means that the IP’s will change.

RETHINK

There has been a lot of discussion about LDT’s purpose and future, many important things have been said. We would like to thank everyone for their valuable input and criticism. It’s been amazing to read about the players who have remained optimistic, and we would like to thank some other players for being open with their thoughts. It’s very good to see that so many people still care about LDT enough to participate in the discussion.

The main thing we, as a community, need to think about is what we want LDT to be. Of course it will never go back to what it was, so we shouldn’t strive to either. We should try and grow into something different.

LDT’s roots have always been in server hosting, and that is something we can and should be doing in the future. There have been mixed opinions on hosting gmod, and while it will no longer be our top priority, we feel like we should continue to do this.

It looks like there is a strong desire for more gathers and hosting a variety of games. This is definitely something we want to do. We want to create an environment that encourages and supports gathering activity, and provide hosting for anything that is popular. It is important to keep changing things up and host new things as new or old games gain popularity.

If you have any ideas on what LDT can do to achieve this, we are always open for suggestions.

• Hardcore Bob, Loadingue, Tabole and 5 others like this

LDT is LDT.

#2 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 23:22

That's right folks, after something like three years we've been reunited with our baby.

20150923151816.jpg

She was very, very loud.
At last, she can rest, but only for just about a week!
I'll be spending the afternoon making backups and preparing the server for a reinstall.

• Loadingue, Dart-Lobrik and xTorturer like this

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#3 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 27 September 2015 - 23:13

6309749bec1593de6b21d4a188f967bd.jpg

Managed to get it done before the end of the weekend, despite some setbacks. :)

(Pic is about one of the setbacks)

We'll not be hosting anything publicly from our home, but we'll definitely get some stuff up and running before we're relocating.

• Loadingue, FRAG, The Time Rider and 2 others like this

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#4 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 10 October 2015 - 17:40

This week we've been holding back the server move because of some circumstances.

Paul, who is now not just our webhost, but also our colocation provider, has requested some (new) IPs from his provider but has yet to receive any.
Seeing as hopping IP shortly after launching your server is pretty useless, we thought it'd be best if we waited a couple more days.

Regardless, we've arranged to move our serverbox into the new datacenter tomorrow! (Sunday)
We'll refrain from launching anything until the IP is final, but we'll definitely get some stuff set up.

• Loadingue, FRAG, Daniel and 2 others like this

#5 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 11 October 2015 - 15:31

8e097ad15a730b7992980f2f50f698c7.png

Thar she blows!

4736210290.png

Internet is a bit slow though.

• FRAG and Radek like this

#6 Radek

Radek

• 34 posts

New User

• LocationMy Desktop Computer :p

Posted 11 October 2015 - 18:12

4736210290.png

Internet is a bit slow though.

Pffft mine is so much faster

4736829322.png

But that's some nice progress over there! Hopefully the servers will return bigger and better one day... (although I don't know how relevant this statement is in this thread)

• Hardcore Bob likes this

#7 Sir Trigg

Sir Trigg

• 995 posts

Beardcules

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:38

The main thing we, as a community, need to think about is what we want LDT to be. Of course it will never go back to what it was, so we shouldn’t strive to either. We should try and grow into something different.

LDT’s roots have always been in server hosting, and that is something we can and should be doing in the future.

Agreed.

Personally, we should come to a majority decision about what the main focus of LDT should be about with new dedicated server hosting. I think we can all agree that, even with the servers how they were for a long time, people still stuck around, even if some have divided into separate 'groups' within the community. LDT based on friendship with one another and even if we pick something that maybe not everyone will agree on, we will all stick and work together. It's one of the main reasons we're all still here. The new dedicated servers would be a big step to bring us together again more and even bring in new faces for the future. 

I think now would be the time to throw in some names/genres of potential games so we can evaluate and decide as a group with direction we want to move forward.

#8 Commander

Commander

• 1,633 posts

You Win or You Die

• LocationEindhoven

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:52

I think now would be the time to throw in some names/genres of potential games so we can evaluate and decide as a group with direction we want to move forward.

Personally I would suggest Rust, LDT had a rust server and it was really fun to play (Talking about the 1st rust server) there were a lot of active ldt people playing on it.

And as rust is showing a lot of nice stuff in their trello / blog I think we should consider this game.

Next to this I think a (modded) minecraft server would also be nice to have as that has been popular aswell.

Though a lot of people in LDT currently play CS:GO I wouldn't suggest this game. For instance, I just play random deathmatch and competitive and don't see any added value in joining a specific server :)

76561197999667690.png

"You better add fox so you can feel normal with him" ~Dr Scheisse

"You know what would suck? If Half life 3 sucked." ~Pie

"This all wouldnt be happend." ~ eddyke1

"Tachibana.♥: Im German remember
Tachibana.♥: Heil Hitler."

Join Dropbox now! :)

Spoiler

#9 xTorturer

xTorturer

• 811 posts

Runner till Death

• LocationSomewhere in Dutchlandia

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:27

Problem with minecraft is that it bores quickly:

Vanilla:

Survival:

You mainly build your shit as functional as possible.

Once you find diamonds there's no real point anymore apart from fighting the enderdragon..

Creative:

Loads of fun but not really worth doing on a server.

Modded:

Once you have the best machinery and gear (which takes around a day or 2) it becomes repetative.

If you're planning to do something with minecraft I'd suggest hosting a minigame server or a PVP-server but then again that playerbase consists out of people like my little brother and his friends and they are the most annoying cunttwats ever..

• Hardcore Bob and Dart-Lobrik like this

2ZDJOHA.gif I LOV POKAYMUNS 2ZDJOHA.gif2ZDJOHA.gif2ZDJOHA.gif

#10 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 14 October 2015 - 19:54

I'm against Minecraft because for all the countless times we tried, the server always died out quickly. Minecraft is losing popularity anyway.

• Cyrill Jones likes this
The most patient man in the world

#11 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 14 October 2015 - 20:06

That, and the drama that always ensues.

Any ideas for what to host are welcome!

LDT is LDT.

#12 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 14 October 2015 - 20:15

I feel like anything that's low effort and fun is worth trying. 

#13 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 14 October 2015 - 22:07

I've suggested Rust again and again, but I've got another idea: how about Arma? I heard it's really fun when you play it with friends. And it's close to a sandbox game.

• The Time Rider and Iksman like this
The most patient man in the world

#14 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 15 October 2015 - 00:58

I've got absolutely no desire to play it myself but if there's enough interest in it I'll be happy to set it up.
It would be preferable if there was a way to make donator incentives though.

#15 Nyanetto

Nyanetto

• 87 posts

User

Posted 15 October 2015 - 15:16

Errybooty get ARK so there's a reason to host that, k bai.

#16 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 15 October 2015 - 18:32

Are there enough people that have this and want to play this on an LDT server? If so, sure!

LDT is LDT.

#17 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 15 October 2015 - 18:34

I asked around on the Steam sales thread while it was on sale, but there was mostly negative feedback. 

#18 CrazyBeaver

CrazyBeaver

• 3 posts

Forum Newbie

• LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 October 2015 - 20:04

Hi guys,

Most of you probably don't know me but I just wanted to say: I loved GMR. Will you guys bring back the GMR server?^_^

Good luck with the relaunch, my respect and the best of luck.

Regards,

an unknown beaver

#19 bongfeng5000

bongfeng5000

• 2,619 posts

ayyyy

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:08

I've suggested Rust again and again, but I've got another idea: how about Arma? I heard it's really fun when you play it with friends. And it's close to a sandbox game.

I've got 1000s of hours in Arma, both in the original Dayz mod, hardcore tactical milsil and more casual game modes. It's brilliant and probably my favorite game ever, but to run a server that maintains popularity is an absolutely huge task that I think is a little out of  reach. 

Yeah because I wasn't the was I?!?

raf simons rick owens usually what i'm dressed in
copping wavey garms on the daily

"why would you get mad at a game?" - Marmite

#20 Sir Trigg

Sir Trigg

• 995 posts

Beardcules

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:51

I'm with Melon on this. Rust is still being worked on A LOT, so maintaining the server again would probably take a lot of work and time to sort out.

Making a good Rust server would be cool though, I'm thinking of one with proper mods. Joined one a few weeks ago. Safe town, teleports to different parts of the map, currency, hotel. So much stuff, it was so cool.

A standard one would be alright, but there won't be a lot to keep the randomers coming back. We'd need some moderation tools sorted out for members and the LDT community sticking to it to keep the banter alive. We're a decent bunch, I'm sure people would stay if it's was fun and well maintained.

Also, I think we should have a section of the forums dedicated to competitive gaming for mobas, (DOTA, Smite + others) CS:GO, stuff like that. Seems like people like games like that, lets get more people interested too, maybe help them get into stuff that's 'harder' to understand and/or play. Wouldn't be a main focus but it would be nice to have dedicated parts of the forum for the stuff we like.

Thoughts on this?

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PSA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users