39 replies to this topic

#1 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 12 September 2015 - 00:28

POPULAR

9-11-2010

Here we are, five years ago we officially went live and announced our presence to the world!
In light of our five-year anniversary, we decided that it's time for a big announcement.

I don't know about you, but I find it hard to imagine what my life would look like if LDT never came to be. You guys have been a huge part in my life for the better part of a decade now. Five years is an impressive lifespan for an online community, and we won’t stop here. We've been through countless changes and evolutions of LDT, we've seen many people come and go, but the important part is that we’re still around. And as you know, everyone always comes back.

YoullNeverLeave.jpg

You don't have to be particularly perceptive to notice, however, that LDT isn't exactly what it used to be.
Many would consider LDT to be dead, and if you look at server activity, it’s hard to argue the opposite. However, as a community, LDT is still
very much alive.

We've long ascended past the need for Gmod servers, while it is obvious to most that the gameservers have been reduced to a remnant of its former self, consider how many people show up for CZ each year. A number that has, despite a decline in server activity, only grown since we started doing it. Multiple people who met each other on LDT ended up moving in with each other, and so many of the online friendships have since turned into lasting bonds between them.

‚Äč"We don't need the Gmod servers, we're something different now."

IMAG0365.jpg

While the previous statement feels true for most people, in the long run, it has become apparent that it isn't. Everything LDT is and does costs money, and the gameservers have always been our means of generating revenue in order to keep things going. But even if you ignore the financial aspect completely, while individual friendships might last, the community will eventually fade away as the influx of players disappears. In the end, we'd like to keep doing what we always have been doing, which is, at its essence, to provide an online platform for people to get together and enjoy themselves. This is why we will go on. It wouldn't be fun not to.

Gio steps down

While a 5-year anniversary ought to be big enough of an occasion, there has been another development in LDT that you probably haven't heard about. Gio is resigning his position at LDT, but will continue to participate in LDT the way everyone else is. With obligations or duties to be burdened with, we're going to have to take over all of his tasks.

We want to thank Gio for everything he has done for all of us and it has been a pleasure working with him for all these years. He will still be around and will still organize campzone with us. With this change of leadership on the 5-year anniversary we think this is the perfect moment to reconsider the future of LDT.
Our strategy is to approach this in three steps.

1- Retreat

A substantial share of the contracts, licenses, and services that LDT relies on to function were arranged by Gio. Others we’re simply electing to change because we decided it would be better for us. Most notably, this means we’re going to find another place to host our box, which means the gameservers will be down for a little while.

2- Rethink

During this downtime, we will redesign everything from the ground up. More often than not things are in place the way they are because they always have been, and this is our chance to shake things up. This means we will overhaul all of our policies, as well as pursue some technological innovations.

We invite you, my dear reader, to join us in this process. What should be different? What purpose do you think LDT should have, what should we focus on? Other games? Other activities? Let there be threads.

3- Relaunch

Once we’ve got our heading set and regained our capabilities, we will be fully operational again. We’ll start reintroducing some of our old features and release all of the new things one by one. This phase will commence before the end of this month, so stay tuned!

ldtcomictake2.png

So Happy Birthday to LDT and thanks to everyone who stuck around for this long!

• Gio!?, Cyrill Jones, FRAG and 11 others like this

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#2 Gio!?

Gio!?

• 3,428 posts

Forum Regular

• Steam:GioNL
  • LocationBleiswijk, South-Holland

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:11

Amen.

Thank you Bob.

5 years has indeed been a long time. For me being 22 years old, LDT has been a significant part of my life. For 23% of my life I've spent as an owner of this wonderful community. I've been through all the stages where LDT has been through and it has taught me a lot of useful things, but more importantly, gained me a whole new friendgroup. But everything has to come to an end and for me it's unrealistic to run a community next to all the other liabilities which come with working a full-time job and studying in university. I will still be there for LDT, just less than I am used to.

So what will I do next? Quite possibly, you wouldn't even miss me. I will still help LDT with organising events such as CampZone (and maybe try epiclan again) and I will still be present on the LDT teamspeak. I will just put down any administrative work such as development and management and focus more on sharing my aquired knowledge with other people; which is quite possibly something which gives me the most satisfaction.

I would like to thank EVERYONE for making this community as it is today. And thank the following people in particular: (this is the part where I turn in to fox)

- Cyrill Jones; you've been a cunt sometimes, but one of our first- and most valuable members of the community. You've stayed with us ever since the beginning and always fully supported our community. You're a good friend.

- Jackeh; I love you. You've been with us ever since we split off from BSU. BSU!! how long must've that been?! Even though you haven't been active anymore, you will always have a special place in my heart. You're also a good friend.

- Max; you were one of the first LDT members I visited in real life. Spending time at your house was amazing and I will never forget it. We should finally play that German version of borderlands I bought over there ^^.

- Nesrual + SebSniperZ; Probably not even going to read this since they have left this community for a long time now. I've spent some amazing time with you in Vejle. Being with you guys will be a memory I will never forget.

- Blackheart / Sillyzilly; Dreamhack buddy. You're the only person who's visited MORE LDT-related events than anyone of us. An honorary mention worth. You're also one of those people I love to talk to.

-  Iksman + Commander + xTorturer; my current alternative-friendgroup (next to bob and psy, nothing bad ^^). I love being with you guys!!! I'm glad I met you all in LDT.

- Marmite, Frag, Manypopes, Ed, Kalle, JJHK, deon<3, HOPE... etc. etc. etc. I could go on for hours.... I love ALL of you guys for making this community what it is today and more importantly: For being my friends <3 :D

• Hardcore Bob, Cyrill Jones, FRAG and 4 others like this

CAMPZONE______STEAMSKYPE______USER POLICY

#3 yagwog

yagwog

• 6,303 posts

fucking degenerate i'll post when i want fam ldt is shit sti

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:14

What should be different? 

webm support

• Hardcore Bob, Loadingue, FRAG and 1 other like this

my response to vaping being "cool" tbh fam

"stimulates the same circuitry that was simulated when u sucked on ur mommas titty

faggot"

#4 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:17

It's sad to hear you decided to step down, Gio, but I'm glad you'll still be around. LDT without you just wouldn't be the same.

Regarding this "relaunch", I've got a couple of ideas, is this the place to post them?

The most patient man in the world

#5 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:04

Yes, you can post them here, you can make separate threads for them, you're also free to contact us personally.
Keep in mind we've got ideas of our own already, we'd just like to involve the community in what they would want to see from LDT.

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#6 loz

loz

• 107 posts

User

• LocationUK

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:46

At least you manage uni + full time work Gio, I barely escaped uni + alcohol XD

Other games? Well I'd suggest a TF2 server on the side of whatever everyone else is thinking, it's always going to be a popular game and I'd doubt it'd need too much looking after, but just my first thought :P

How do you kill a vegan vampire? With a steak to the heart.

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

#7 Daniel

Daniel

• 1,543 posts

GMR Addict!

• LocationEngland

Posted 12 September 2015 - 19:36

Long live LDT :)

• Hardcore Bob likes this

#8 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:38

I find it funny how you guys created a community called LET'S DO THIS on 9/11

But I'm really glad you did!

• Hardcore Bob, Dart-Lobrik, xTorturer and 1 other like this

#9 Ministry

Ministry

• 339 posts

Regular User

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:05

BRING BACK RUST :D!

That Australian guy!

#10 xTorturer

xTorturer

• 811 posts

Runner till Death

• LocationSomewhere in Dutchlandia

Posted 13 September 2015 - 14:06

More gathers with more people.

The Ballz of Steel gather was so much fun the last time but almost noone applies for it this time.

2ZDJOHA.gif I LOV POKAYMUNS 2ZDJOHA.gif2ZDJOHA.gif2ZDJOHA.gif

#11 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 13 September 2015 - 16:09

At least you manage uni + full time work Gio, I barely escaped uni + alcohol XD

Other games? Well I'd suggest a TF2 server on the side of whatever everyone else is thinking, it's always going to be a popular game and I'd doubt it'd need too much looking after, but just my first thought :P

TF2 is slowly going down, so I don't think it's a good idea.

However...

BRING BACK RUST :D!

...seems more like it. The game's popularity is going up, and admins here already have some experience with running a server on it, I think. Besides, same devs as Garry's Mod, and GMod 2 is too far away for now.

#12 FRAG

FRAG

• 6,278 posts

Not your normal S'H'A'R'K

Posted 13 September 2015 - 19:14

BAZ3gLD.gif

[FRAGleveldesign.com] "The home of FRAG"

76561197980033738.png

#13 The Meta

The Meta

• 477 posts

Not meant to be helpful

• LocationWales

Posted 13 September 2015 - 20:50

It's been an interesting 4 years I've spent with you guys. This community will always have my support, whatever I can give.

76561197979270420.png

#14 loz

loz

• 107 posts

User

• LocationUK

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:35

Well can we have a giant party with blackjack and hookers?

• Cyrill Jones likes this

How do you kill a vegan vampire? With a steak to the heart.

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

#15 Jackeh

Jackeh

• 3,570 posts

Forum Regular

• LocationBelfast

Posted 14 September 2015 - 19:15

Glad you're staying around Gio, and happy birthday to LDT. <3 Will be interesting to see what's in store, maybe it'll get me back into gaming for a while. :P

Posted Image

#16 Sir Trigg

Sir Trigg

• 995 posts

Beardcules

Posted 15 September 2015 - 00:27

6Z33SJS.png

A picture says a thousand words, and this one says the most tbh.

• Revengekeuh likes this

#17 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 15 September 2015 - 18:34

What a downer, get the fuck outta here. LDT can live again if we work at it.
  • Hardcore Bob, Pandaboy and xTorturer like this

#18 UnDead

UnDead

• 727 posts

Mostly dead

• LocationBolton, United Kingdom

Posted 15 September 2015 - 23:03

How about a Cards against Humanity gather to liven things up a bit?
  • Loadingue likes this

76561198009536331.png
UnDead is now dead

#19 Sir Trigg

Sir Trigg

• 995 posts

Beardcules

Posted 15 September 2015 - 23:23

What a downer, get the fuck outta here. LDT can live again if we work at it.

http://forum.ldt.gg/...e-state-of-ldt/

What has changed? Nothing.

This was over two years ago.

We tried to make it work, the community, that is. We made TTT Thursday, FRAG did a lot when he could to add new content and keep things interesting.

What did the admins do? Nothing. The past two years the owners and their circle of friends have been TS playing other games while the servers were left to die.

I agree, LDT can live again. But not all of us will actually put the effort in.

Why should things all of a sudden change now?

• queen bee likes this

#20 Revengekeuh

Revengekeuh

• 1,727 posts

Puking Clouds

Posted 15 September 2015 - 23:36

I personally am still mad for letting the TTT server die the way it did. A bunch of community members tried to keep it alive, but the server was broken as fuck (and still is in that exact same state to this day). Frag had a child and obviously couldn't spend the same time on the server anymore.

Some people still tried to keep the server populated (TTT Thursday, some trusteds kept joining the server, ...) but with a broken server we'd only get the usual people to play. New people prefer a server that actually works.

When talking to admins about this all I heard was. "yeah it's dead, working on new prop hunt right now. Will get around to fixing that later."

>haven't seen anything about prophunt anymore

>TTT still dead as fuck.

Basicly TTT has just been dropped after once being the heart of LDT.

I know LDT doesn't revolve around TTT (especially after it's death) anymore. But aside from that the other servers lacked attention for a while too. heck. last member elections? 1,5 years ago? don't think i'm far off. Meanwhile I personally tried so hard to keep the community alive (TTT Hitman games, Gathers hosted with commander) but I gave up hope a long time ago.

I don't think this is gonna change, but feel free to prove me otherwise.

• queen bee likes this
76561198009946140.png

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PSA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users