Suggestion: Recruitment Bonus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tactical Rainboom

Tactical Rainboom

• 10 posts

Forum Newbie

Posted 05 July 2015 - 19:21

LDT's GMR server has had no problem with recruiting players in the past. The server got full or nearly full once a day, and it still does.

Here's the problem. The server's peak times are weekdays between 10 AM and 3PM EST. It's the middle of summer so this makes sense, all the kids and teenagers are home all day with nothing else to do. But when the next school year starts, all of them will be at school, and the average number of players online during peak times will drop significantly. This was the problem for another server which shall not be named here. It was a GMR server that did very well last summer, but closed down soon afterward, because nobody was online.

My solution: Introduce a recruitment reward system. It can be any system, as long as players who actively invite new players are rewarded. Examples:

-A player who joins the server when it has been empty for more than 15 minutes gets "Recruiter" rank. A Recruiter gets a 20% bonus for all races, similar to the VIP bonus. The recruiter bonus is added on top of the VIP bonus, so a race that awards $1000 will give a $200 Recruiter bonus as well as a $250 VIP bonus, for a total of $1450, if the player is both a Recruiter and a VIP. A player loses the Recruiter rank if they leave the server for longer than 5 minutes.

-All players on the server are awarded $50 per minute if there are less than 4 players on the server. (This should be paired with an AFK kicker so it can't be abused.)

-Award a $200 bonus to everyone on the server when a player joins.

Basically any of the above systems should work, but I'm open to new ones as well. Discuss.

#2 The Time Rider

The Time Rider

• 1,376 posts

Retard.

• LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 06 July 2015 - 00:26

-Award a $200 bonus to everyone on the server when a player joins.

This could easily be abused to hell and back. Just get a buddy and have him spam join.

A referral system was what lept to my mind when I read the title, where you can refer a friend to the server. It might be hard to manage, but if it could be automated then it could give out a flat cash reward to the referrer.

I like your first idea, but I think it might be a better idea to give the reward to the first 5-10 people who join when the server is dead because then it will motivate more people to join.

Your third idea of the $50 per minute seems like the best one to me, but I would raise the player amount required to get the reward. Make it so that the reward is granted when there are 5-10 players.

Also, you mention that school is out, but as you use EST I'm assuming that you're American and from what I understand, European summer breaks haven't started yet, so that should provide a player boost before too long.

Now, since all of the servers are more or less dead at this point, something like this might be worth looking into for every server.

• xTorturer likes this
"There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race and finish the farce" -Mark Twain
“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.”-Mark Twain

#3 Catkillerfive

Catkillerfive

• 2,801 posts

doating all day

• Steam:Catkillerfive
  • LocationDalaran

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:19

I like the idea of an bonus when you play when there are no/low amounts of players on a server (which eliminate/reduce the problem with low race rewards when there aren't to many players around)

European summer breaks haven't started yet

It have, started roughly 20 days ago for all school levels.

76561198037959911.png

#4 The Time Rider

The Time Rider

• 1,376 posts

Retard.

• LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:30

I like the idea of an bonus when you play when there are no/low amounts of players on a server (which eliminate/reduce the problem with low race rewards when there aren't to many players around)

European summer breaks haven't started yet

It have, started roughly 20 days ago for all school levels.

I can't claim to be an expert on European holidays, but after a little bit of googling, it looks like a lot of summer breaks haven't started yet.

"There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race and finish the farce" -Mark Twain
“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.”-Mark Twain

#5 Blackheart

Blackheart

• 4,704 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:23

Europe is a big place, not under all one system so how on earth we'd have a summer holiday date that is exactly the same is beyond me. 

• The Time Rider and xTorturer like this

#6 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:31

GMR's unique property when it comes to LDT servers is that it's very USA-populated. This is because we are the only functional GMR server; other gamemodes have USA servers for them.

I do feel something for rewarding "idling" on the server, because 2/26 slots is much more appealing to join than an empty server. Of course the AFK system should start kicking in as the server fills up, and there should be no reward for idling a half-filled server.
  • Tactical Rainboom likes this

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#7 Tactical Rainboom

Tactical Rainboom

• 10 posts

Forum Newbie

Posted 06 July 2015 - 19:24

I disagree with Bob. If the AFK system doesn't start up until the server becomes populated, players could abuse the shit out of it by going on and AFK-ing during off hours. On a Tuesday night, for instance. It will be less likely for players to come on, so they could AFK for the entire night and make $24000 for doing absolutely nothing.

And the idle reward has to be small, so racing will always pay more than going idle. I think $50 is a good benchmark. If a single player finishes a race in less than 90 seconds, they will make more from racing than idling. After all, the whole point of GMR is to work for your money.

#8 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 06 July 2015 - 19:37

Perhaps you misunderstood me; I meant that idling shouldn't give any benefits when the server is half filled.

The way I look at it, the crucial and difficult part is getting the first couple of players to join; people join GMR to play GMR, and why would you join an empty server knowing you're not going to be able to play? We don't need people to idle during peek hours, we need people to idle before those, so that the server can fill up quicker. If this means rewarding people who idle on Tuesday nights, that's just fine.

Of course, the reward would be minimal.

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#9 Peyko

Peyko

• 2 posts

Forum Newbie

Posted 26 July 2015 - 00:26

I agree with Bob. ​

Have had so many great moments in this game. I really wanna play GMR again, but it is hard to make my self join an empty server, as I see little to no meaning in racing with no people on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users