• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Unforeseen Physics

Unforeseen Physics

• 2,086 posts

Our last German

Posted 22 June 2015 - 13:15

What is up y'all!

Usually I don't blindly follow TB's glowing recommendations (1 because his interests don't align with mine most of the time and 2 I got burned slightly since for me it didn't actually work at launch) but whatever the case.

This is my jam and I dearly hope it's some of yours as well so perhaps we can someday joyfully waste a couple hours together.

• Dart-Lobrik and Iksman like this

#2 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 13:41

"Oh look, a platformer, with retro graphics..."

• Psycix and xTorturer like this

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#3 Unforeseen Physics

Unforeseen Physics

• 2,086 posts

Our last German

Posted 22 June 2015 - 15:51

"Don't turn off yet if you don't like platformers, this is not a platformer. Trust me. Trust me on this one."
Didn't even make it that far?

#4 Prox

Prox

• 133 posts

User

• LocationIreland

Posted 22 June 2015 - 16:17

My friends were get moist over this game in maths class and now its here on the forums too?

God damn it, I'm buying this game

#5 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 17:36

I can't say I did. Skipped through it to see if it's anything interesting.
Don't really see the point in 18-minute videos that are supposed to be "This game in a nutshell".

There are two platformers that stand out; Terraria (hardly a platformer) and Super Smash Brothers (Side-view fighting game).

You're going to have to convince me how this one stands out as well, because it looks like it doesn't. 

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#6 Cyrill Jones

Cyrill Jones

• 2,163 posts

JAH!

Posted 22 June 2015 - 17:44

You don't understand what the game is at all. The interesting part is the multiplayer, which you clearly didn't see.

Go to anywhere past about 5:30 in that video.

Inaat : urban ddpat

Inaat : u serios

#7 Unforeseen Physics

Unforeseen Physics

• 2,086 posts

Our last German

Posted 22 June 2015 - 18:07

This surpasses Smash in so many ways...

#8 Blackheart

Blackheart

• 4,704 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 22 June 2015 - 18:19

Seen it before, looked pretty fun for fast action 2D arena fun.

#9 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 22 June 2015 - 18:25

I think the main source of fun is the variety of combat styles, and the incredibly high speed which keeps it exciting and makes for a very high skill ceiling.

It is, however, a platformer. Side-viewed 2D games with gravity are platformers.

LDT is LDT.

#10 Unforeseen Physics

Unforeseen Physics

• 2,086 posts

Our last German

Posted 22 June 2015 - 18:55

Technically yes. But as you pointed out, its defining factor is something entirely different, similar to how we don't speak of Portal as an FPS mostly.

The incredible thing I find here is the almost non-existant downtime (rare to see in multiplayer) and the amount awesome moments per minute. Even when you're dead the ongoing fight is insane to watch and you're always betting / hoping on a particular duck to win / lose or for everyone to just die in absolute chaos.

#11 Mayhem

Mayhem

• 697 posts

Get your facts straight

Posted 23 June 2015 - 00:49

I skipped through the video. At first glance, it seems like Soldat and LieroX had a baby.
00:00.00 - KILL: [LDT] Mayhem [innocent] killed King Shaunus [innocent]

#12 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:52

Well, the reason we don't really speak of Portal as an FPS is because it's not a shooter at all, which is what half the "FPS" stands for. It's more of a first-person puzzle game.

platformer is a much broader genre though and fits pretty much any 2d side-view game where you can jump on different levels of "platforms".

.. But who cares anyway? ^^

The game looks fun, but not so fun I'd pay $10 for it. Especially since most of the fun seems to be the random and unpredictive multiplayer experience which wouldn't be so random and predicted after playing for a few hours.

#13 Unforeseen Physics

Unforeseen Physics

• 2,086 posts

Our last German

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:50

Bad example, take Worms ("platformer") instead. You get me point.

Yes, some of the initial randomness wears off once you figure out the weapons, but only a fraction. I've been together with some very experienced pro players (one addict even had all platinum medals in arcade mode which is Super Meat Boy level of torturous) and it was still more engaging than Smash at its best of times, because strategy gradually kicks in and makes for some genuinely good gameplay.
You can still defeat your laser-rifle wielding opponent with just a nerf gun if you do it right (or no weapon at all, just throw a corpse at them for a quick disarm).
The fact that every item does something different means that there's an almost infinite amount of possible scenarios and ways to stylishly pick off ducks. Which is what I miss in a lot if online FPS these days and TF2 probably came closest with its weapon variety.
That said, this game would never work in 3D. Not a chance.

#14 Revengekeuh

Revengekeuh

• 1,727 posts

Puking Clouds

Posted 23 June 2015 - 13:21

I'll probably pick it up once it goes on sale again, thanks for the recommendation it looks really addicting and fun imo. 

76561198009946140.png

#15 Dart-Lobrik

Dart-Lobrik

• 1,075 posts

Comrade

• LocationMoscow

Posted 23 June 2015 - 16:38

should try this at CZ, like make a local tournament like we did Worms

BillzSkillz - That could be the missing touch, some drug assisted wisdom look. Damn aliens.

YSGe0mu.jpgI want you to make a contract with me and become a magical girl!

#16 Unforeseen Physics

Unforeseen Physics

• 2,086 posts

Our last German

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:58

quack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users