- - - - -

Steam Hardware

11 replies to this topic

#1 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 08 June 2015 - 19:14

I don't currently need this in my life, but I will at one point and I hope they turn out amazing.

• bongfeng5000 and elite like this

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#2 Sythen

Sythen

• 604 posts

I LOVE MY BRICK!

• Steam:STEAM_0:1:7052825
  • LocationBirmingham, England

Posted 08 June 2015 - 19:41

Im interested to see what that little box has under the hood.

Posted Image

"Motoki: vaginas are gay"

#3 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 08 June 2015 - 21:17

This is what we, PC gamers, truly need:

• The Time Rider and queen bee like this
The most patient man in the world

#4 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:47

Looks uncomfortable. Especially how much he has to stretch his thumb to use the analog stick, or the ABXY buttons (0:45 of the video)

I think I'll keep using my xbox360 controller. Even if a game doesn't natively support it, there's software for that.

#5 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:03

Looks uncomfortable. Especially how much he has to stretch his thumb to use the analog stick, or the ABXY buttons (0:45 of the video)

I think I'll keep using my xbox360 controller. Even if a game doesn't natively support it, there's software for that.

For a while, I thought you were talking about the couch. 

• Loadingue, Pandaboy, The Time Rider and 2 others like this

LDT is LDT.

#6 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 17 October 2015 - 00:06

Steam controllers have started shipping to consumers.
I'll be getting mine next month, but a couple of LDT members already have theirs!

This is the best review I could find, that points out all of its pros and cons fairly.

Whether or not people will eventually get so used to the controller that they actually do replace conventional controllers for them, will become apparent in the future. It's hard enough for a tech company to have their software innovation accepted, imagine how impossible it would have to be for a new gaming input device to feel "right", right off the bat.

If it remains the "controller that emulates M&K" that it is, I'll be glad to own one regardless.

• Marmite likes this

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#7 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 19 October 2015 - 23:11

• Catkillerfive likes this

#8 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 12 December 2015 - 00:57

Pretty cute how the Portal sounds have been incorporated.

While we're here, I wanna give my "review" of what I found of my Steam controller so far.
It really excels as a handheld mouse, or touchpad rather. I've been using it to play poker, browse websites or control video from bed. Basically general purpose desktop use. I suck with controllers, so I haven't really found a game I enjoy playing with controllers a lot.

As for Steam vs Regular controller, because haven't really owned or used controllers for extended amounts of time, I'm struggling to really give you an in depth comparison. I suck at shooters with this thing, but my guess is I'm equally shit on regular ones. Who knows.
  • Psycix likes this

#9 Commander

Commander

• 1,633 posts

You Win or You Die

• LocationEindhoven

Posted 12 December 2015 - 13:54

I like the steam controller, only thing what I am missing is a little place in the controller to store the usb thing in. Like most wireless mouses have.

• Hardcore Bob and Cyrill Jones like this

76561197999667690.png

"You better add fox so you can feel normal with him" ~Dr Scheisse

"You know what would suck? If Half life 3 sucked." ~Pie

"This all wouldnt be happend." ~ eddyke1

"Tachibana.♥: Im German remember
Tachibana.♥: Heil Hitler."

Join Dropbox now! :)

Spoiler

#10 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:59

Steam Controller and Steam Link are both 30% off!

http://store.steampo...d.com/hardware/

Can't personally vouch for the Steam Link, but I know Gio has one.

However I can recommend the Steam controller.

If you already own a controller there isn't any need to get a Steam controller, however there are some upsides to them over the console ones:

• Excellent native support and stability
    Contrary to what I've heard from console controller users, mine has always been supported and I've never had it disconnect for even a second.

• Great battery life
    The first game I played exclusively with my controller was Dark Souls, my save file said 65 hours before the included batteries had died. (I reckon I got 80 hrs total)

• Insanely customizable
    Like, you would not believe how expansive these settings are. you can set thresholds and sensitivities and feedback and alternate modes, etc.

• Extra buttons and functionality
    Personally one of my favorite features are the paddles on the back.They are actuated by fingers that just sit there and do nothing on regular controllers. I use them for a Push to Talk in games where all of the other buttons are assigned, but in Rocket League they are Scoreboard and Handbreak. They even come with built in Gyroscopes so you could map the tilt of your controller to an ingame function.

• Trackpads
    Seeing as apart from a thumbstick, you get two large circular trackpads, this thing is more of a lap-mouse than any other controller could be. I've used this to play poker from bed, or just as a remote control for watching films and series. Even webbrowsing feels comfortable. Mice are great as long as you have a solid surface.

Edit: They advertise this point as being able to play mouse-only games like Cities: Skylines and the Civilization games.

Possible downsides could be:

• They're fairly large, people with smaller hands might struggle depending on their grip.
  • There may or may not be occasions where a Right analog stick would be preferable, but this is probably subjective or a matter of getting used to.
  • The left analog stick takes some getting used to as it's very far to the right.

#11 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 04 June 2016 - 13:24

Wow Bob how much did Valve bribe you

#LDTSellout

I might buy one when it's actually cheap.
The most patient man in the world

#12 FRAG

FRAG

• 6,278 posts

Not your normal S'H'A'R'K

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:11

Jade bought me a steam link & controller yesterday, I'm excited for the controller and intrigued by how well the link will work, the link will serve well if it's effective as me and jade miss playing games together on the TV.

Just got to wait for them to ship now, I'm playing the waiting game.

[FRAGleveldesign.com] "The home of FRAG"

76561197980033738.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users