View New Content
Forums
Photo
- - - - -

GMR: Mute text- and voicechat while mapvoting is going on.

gmr suggestion

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Radek

Radek

• 34 posts

New User

• LocationMy Desktop Computer :p

Posted 09 April 2015 - 19:52

While mapvoting is going on, the text- and voicechat should be automatically muted completely. This is to prevent people from shouting out the map they want, which can actually affect map voting. This is not good, as people should vote for the map THEY want to play, not the guy who shouted a map out wants. As soon as the map is selected, both chats are unmuted again.

So, yeah, nothing more to say: Simply mute text- and voicechat while the players are voting for a map, so that players actually vote on their own instead of listening to other players.

(Because I see something like "DEATH BOWL!!!!!" and everybody votes for it, frequently.)

#2 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,509 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 09 April 2015 - 20:04

There's no harm in players trying to convince others to vote for the same map, I feel a global mute would be a bit unnecessary. 

• The Time Rider and Tactical Rainboom like this

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#3 Daniel

Daniel

• 1,543 posts

GMR Addict!

• LocationEngland

Posted 09 April 2015 - 21:46

It's fine for people to say what map they want too play but it does get very annoying when all you see on your screen is:

PANDA!
PANDA!
PANDA!
PANDA!
PANDA!
PANDA!
FUCK PANDA
PANDA!
PANDA!
PANDA!
PANDA!

It's even worse when they do it over the mic aswell.

• Pandaboy likes this

#4 ZONIC

ZONIC

• 194 posts

User

• LocationUK

Posted 09 April 2015 - 22:18

If someone does that you can always just warn them to stop spamming mic or chat and 9 times out of 10 they will stop and if they dont then its a kick. The global mute would in my opinion be unnecessary.

• The Time Rider likes this

#5 The Time Rider

The Time Rider

• 1,376 posts

Retard.

• LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 09 April 2015 - 23:13

I think muting during a map vote would be a bad idea. This way, new players can get a better idea of what maps other people enjoy. Also, you can use your ability to convince others to try and get lesser played maps played more often.

"There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race and finish the farce" -Mark Twain
“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.”-Mark Twain

#6 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 939 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:58

PANDA!
PANDA!
PANDA!
PANDA!
PANDA!
PANDA!
FUCK PANDA

;__;

• TheMelonMan, elite, Radek and 1 other like this

#7 user

user

• 765 posts

Regular User

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:14

Seems like a good idea to me, people always choose the same maps because someone is yelling their name over the mic.

#8 Radek

Radek

• 34 posts

New User

Posted 10 April 2015 - 11:34

Just a reminder: I am not suggesting this because I have something against people saying the map they want to play. That is completely fine, the problem here is the convincing. The chat might also get spammed a bit with all this "SCREW TRICKY DICK" or "RAINBOW ROAD PLS", but that is the smaller reason.

I have the feeling that this even has an impact on how frequently maps are played. Because of how many times a specific map has been shouted out for, people get used to the map and start voting for it without anybody telling to pick it, still thinking that people want the map, and just pick it. This also prevents us try out newer/less played maps like Arcnoropha, Oct, Poopyloopy, Flash Tron, Kycail..., and makes us stick with this Rainbow Road, Fast Track, Ultimate Arena, Robot Wars, Panda Faggotry...

#9 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,430 posts

Owner

Posted 10 April 2015 - 13:45

I agree, a vocal minority can easily sway the map vote in their favour.

Perhaps it'd be best if you couldn't read chat or hear anyone UNTIL you voted.

LDT is LDT.

#10 TheMelonMan

TheMelonMan

• 2,619 posts

ayyyy

Posted 10 April 2015 - 13:47

What about people who are undecided/don't know the maps? Why should they be forced to vote and not allowed to ask what a good map is? 

• Pandaboy, The Time Rider and Tactical Rainboom like this

Yeah because I wasn't the was I?!?

raf simons rick owens usually what i'm dressed in
copping wavey garms on the daily

"why would you get mad at a game?" - Marmite

#11 Radek

Radek

• 34 posts

New User

Posted 10 April 2015 - 14:09

What about people who are undecided/don't know the maps? Why should they be forced to vote and not allowed to ask what a good map is? 

Whether a map is good or not seems to be mostly based on personal preference, so people would just tell which map THEY like, not the one the other guy MIGHT like.

People should just try maps on their own to judge whether it is good or bad. (If they want to try it out, they simply vote for it. It might not work at the beginning, because people would still vote for the overrated maps, due to people still being used to a map, but that should go away over time, atleast I'd hope.)

And the fact that they do not know the maps even has positive things in it. They can decide for their own favorite maps instead of letting other people feed them with opinions and jumping into the bandwagon of Panda Faggotry, Fast Track and all of the already said overrated maps.

Abstract story-shortening: People should stop influencing other people's opinions/decisions, and go on their own.

#12 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,430 posts

Owner

Posted 10 April 2015 - 19:00

Well then their vote is worthless to begin with, isn't it?

LDT is LDT.

#13 Daniel

Daniel

• 1,543 posts

GMR Addict!

• LocationEngland

Posted 10 April 2015 - 21:24

PANDA!
PANDA!
PANDA!
PANDA!
PANDA!
PANDA!
FUCK PANDA

;__;

I'm sorry :(

• Pandaboy likes this

#14 revenge

revenge

• 17 posts

Forum Newbie

• LocationNetherlands

Posted 25 April 2015 - 18:25

i think that the pictures of the map influence more. Sprint survival is choosen a lot just because it had a picture. When people have had a few laps they begin complaining. And this is even without people yelling they want sprint.

And i think it may not be the best idea to mute, because people also say which map isnt playable with the current amount of people.

#15 Radek

Radek

• 34 posts

New User

Posted 25 April 2015 - 20:58

i think that the pictures of the map influence more. Sprint survival is choosen a lot just because it had a picture. When people have had a few laps they begin complaining. And this is even without people yelling they want sprint.

And i think it may not be the best idea to mute, because people also say which map isnt playable with the current amount of people.

That is true. I had 2 cases already where people have been shouting completely different maps, but Circuit 69 won. It was the only map of the selection that had a preview image. I know they have been broken for ages, but I think we should really just get a preview image for all maps, or not use them at all.

I have played on a fretta minigames server back in GMod 12 which muted all chats during minigame voting, and it worked pretty well. So I don't see how a mute would hurt. It would atleast make the voting situation better.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gmr, suggestion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users