Headset help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 24 March 2015 - 15:43

Have been searching around for a while (also on the forums) for a decent headset, but I'm having trouble deciding.

Rather than making a wall of text, here's a list of qualities I'm searching for:

• Mid-range sound quality & price.
  • Durable (I don't want Turtle Break Beach)
  • Comfortable (I usually wear glasses)
  • Clear mic
  • (?) 7.1 surround (would be nice)

These seems nice, but a bit on the expensive side for me. .. But if a headset doesn't break and lasts for years then that price range is fine.

What really appeals to me with that one is the dolby 7.1 surround sound, but I have a question about that. There's a note saying "7.1 Surround sound requires software installation". Does that mean I can install that software for a cheaper headset (if it has usb connection)?

I guess my biggest problem when deciding is that I have no experience with headsets, so logitech is the only company i can trust to have quality.. So there might be other companies I'm not sure about that could be just as good (or better) for a lower price.

Wireless isn't important to me btw, seems a bit overprice for reduced quality just to get rid of the cable.

#2 user

user

• 765 posts

Regular User

Posted 24 March 2015 - 15:52

I happen to have the exact same headset. I use it with the USB sound card and I have the Logitech Gaming Software installed for my G400 mouse, so it automatically added the headset customization tab as well. I personally love the virtual 7.1 surround, if I disable it now I can definitely hear the difference, although I'm not sure exactly what it is about it that I love so much.

• Pandaboy likes this

#3 UnDead

UnDead

• 727 posts

Mostly dead

• LocationBolton, United Kingdom

Posted 24 March 2015 - 16:09

Have a look at the Plantronics Gamecom 780.
It's what I currently have and it's really good for its price. I also wear glasses but find it comfortable to wear.
It has 7.1 surround sound that is really sharp and effective.
  • Pandaboy likes this

76561198009536331.png
UnDead is now dead

#4 AssassinAngel

AssassinAngel

• 20 posts

New User

Posted 24 March 2015 - 16:13

I recommend Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Alpha. I had this one long time ago. I'm not sure about the 7.1 surround or comfort but it is damn durable. It's mic is really good at voice clearing. It's currently 65$ on amazon. 

Here is the product page: http://asia.creative...-tactic3d-alpha

Here is the amazon page: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B0041OQKIC

Hope it helps

Edit: I actually don't remember if I had this one but I remember it being one of the Sound Blaster Tactic

• Pandaboy likes this

76561198026026868.png

#5 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 24 March 2015 - 16:35

I happen to have the exact same headset. I use it with the USB sound card and I have the Logitech Gaming Software installed for my G400 mouse, so it automatically added the headset customization tab as well. I personally love the virtual 7.1 surround, if I disable it now I can definitely hear the difference, although I'm not sure exactly what it is about it that I love so much.

Thanks for the input, if I'm lucky I might get a discount on it if I buy it (my bro works at an electronics store and they have it in stock)

Have a look at the Plantronics Gamecom 780.

Thanks :). Looks as good as the logitech one, and at a similar price. Since I might get a discount on the logitech one it's probably the better choice for me

I recommend Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Alpha.

I saw that one when googling, and it seems like a good one, and has that 3d sound I'm looking for.

and.. Now that you suggested it, I googled the swedish price for it, and it's only around 350kr here (about $40-45), so it  sounds like a really good headset for the price :).

(usually swedish prices are waaay higher compared to US prices... wanted to buy the artic breeze USB fan for $7. and even with an additional $8 shipping from amazon, swedish stores didn't have a better price xD)

#6 AssassinAngel

AssassinAngel

• 20 posts

New User

Posted 24 March 2015 - 16:46

Glad I could help  :)

• Pandaboy likes this

76561198026026868.png

#7 cheeseybrain

cheeseybrain

• 126 posts

User

• LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 24 March 2015 - 17:36

I've had this headset for about a year now. 

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o05_s01

Not failed me so far, it's wired which some people don't like.

#8 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,554 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 20:27

Specify mid-range?

Elaborate on your priorities as well.
Would you consider them more for gaming or for more music?
Do you think comfort is more important than durability?

Wireless
I do need to stress that Wireless is more than just a luxury; in my experience, the only reason headsets break is because of the presence of cables in the first place. It's a major durability feature in my opinion. On top of that, it's the type of luxury you can't imagine yourself without after a week of usage.

I've got the Corsair Vengeance 2100 myself.

Vengeance_2100_hero_mic_side_LIT.png

It goes for about €130 these days (1200SEK), I like Corsair headsets because they have the biggest drivers (speakers) of pretty much all brands. This means this headset has got sick sound quality and full bass. It's by far the highest quality audio device I've ever owned, including but not limited to my Logitech 2.1 set and a set of Sennheiser earphones. (About €150 and €25 respectively) On top of that, the large drivers come with large, comfortable earcups that I sometimes feel naked without. 

The only downsides I find are:
- No programmable buttons, useful for a push-to-talk when you're away from the computer
- Beeps loudly when near empty instead of giving a nice software warning like Logitech
- Prone to EMI static and static when not charging on a non-grounded plug

If you really don't care about wireless, they have a wired version of the same product called the Corsair Vengeance 1500.
It's about €90 (850SEK) from what I've seen.

By the way, Corsair rebranded their Vengeance series headsets to "Gaming H". They're a reskin of the exact same product.
21_8b6ac6b9.png

They appear to cost a similar amount as well, so it comes down to aesthetic preference.

Similarly, Logitech has the G930 wireless headset and the comparable G35 headset.

g35-gaming-headset-images.png

They're a little more expensive and they have lesser audio quality, but they come with better software and the RMA on Logitech products is amazing.

Corsair also has a cheaper product called the HS40, it's still got large drivers, except they're 40mm.
They go for about €50 (450SEK) and they still have 7.1 and all that jazz.

HS30_HS40_GamingHeadset_hero_mic_side.pn

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#9 bongfeng5000

bongfeng5000

• 2,619 posts

ayyyy

Posted 24 March 2015 - 20:57

Personally I wouldn't go for a Corsair. I've found both of the corsair headsets I've had to be extremely unreliable while also costing a lot of money. Also, there is a problem with the first headset that I owned that if mentioned on the Corsair forums your account gets banned and the topic deleted. They categorically deny any existence of said problem even though thousands of people have complained about it. However, as Bob said, the sound quality is very good. I just think that it's a bit of a risk especially if you get an expensive model. 

Yeah because I wasn't the was I?!?

raf simons rick owens usually what i'm dressed in
copping wavey garms on the daily

"why would you get mad at a game?" - Marmite

#10 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,554 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 20:59

The Vengeance series originally had a major design flaw, obviously, but I just RMA'd mine and got the new (2100) version.

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#11 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 24 March 2015 - 21:50

Specify mid-range?

Elaborate on your priorities as well.
Would you consider them more for gaming or for more music?
Do you think comfort is more important than durability?

Like, $30-$70? I can't justify spending much more on a headset. I don't feel like I need better sound quality than what I've seen in that price range.

I'm probably gonna use them mostly for gaming and watching videos. I don't really listen much to music these days, so I have no need for amazing speakers or bass.

comfort vs durability? Can't they be both comfortable and not break xD? As long as they aren't too tight around the ears since I need to be able to wear glasses with the headset on. 

Wireless
I do need to stress that Wireless is more than just a luxury; in my experience, the only reason headsets break is because of the presence of cables in the first place. It's a major durability feature in my opinion. On top of that, it's the type of luxury you can't imagine yourself without after a week of usage.

Wireless would indeed be nice, but the ones you listed are way too expensive for me. I've never had a gaming headset before, but I've rarely had issues with the cable breaking on any of my regular headphones. Occasionally the plastic has cracked though.

#12 Dr Scheisse

Dr Scheisse

• 544 posts

Regular User

• LocationFinland

Posted 24 March 2015 - 22:03

Edit: Just realised I linked the wrong headset lel. This was the thing I was supposed to link: https://www.komplett...-headset/775782

Going for surround sound is imo not worth it, I never used it in my G35's and I even think it made the sound worse so it was just there.
  • user likes this

#13 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 01 April 2015 - 16:19

Had to wait for my brother's vacation to end to see what kind of discounts I could get on the different models.

Decided on the Sound Blaster Tactic3D Fury. Haven't gotten them yet, but they're definitely the best choice for me. They have everything I was looking for, and at a great price ($40).

Thanks again everyone :>

• UnDead likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users