Apparently a new virus making it's round on Steam

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Fox

Fox

• 1,203 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 14 November 2014 - 21:59

There is a new virus going around in Steam here is how it works in general.

You get a message from a friend questioning something about you like, WTF dude? or will you change that? following a link that contains the word screenshot. you are better off not clicking that link since it will make you download a file that sends your account information to the hacker, who then apparently steals stuff out of your steam inventory and game inventories by using your account to trade, later on if you aren't fast enough the virus will apparently make you post the same to your friends in Steam.

So again, no clicky the linky.

I was informed about this by Sligwolf because it happened to a friend of his and he got the link but he didn't click on it. As far as i know Shadowz was so unlucky to click it.

Stay Safe , this is meant as a little warning and precaution 

• Tjifo likes this

#2 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 14 November 2014 - 22:07

Thanks for the warning, but I think most of us know better. It's not the first time this kind of virus gets around.

The most patient man in the world

#3 BOT Dan

BOT Dan

• 434 posts

Dont tell GLaDOS Im here!

• LocationChavington, UK

Posted 14 November 2014 - 23:46

Had someone send it to me, realised it was probably dodgy when I downloaded it. I deleted it.

WTF Dude? http://screen-pictures.com/img_012/
[Don't click the link]

OgsQ4SS.jpg

76561198054105945.png

#4 Blackheart

Blackheart

• 4,701 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 15 November 2014 - 00:39

If that's the actual link being passed around, it'd be smarter to stick that shit in not clickable URL form.

#5 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,525 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 15 November 2014 - 00:42

Fixed that.

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#6 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,430 posts

Owner

Posted 15 November 2014 - 00:44

Yeah, I've received like 3 or 4 dodgy links from people in the past 2 weeks.

I always clicked the link though. Then examined the downloaded file (without executing it) and uploaded it to an online virus-scanner that basically runs all possible scanners on it. Virus confirmed, person deleted from friends. Woop woop.

Downloading the file isn't an issue. Opening the file is. They are in .scr format, which is then opened as a screensaver. It is likely making use of an exploit in windows' screensaver software to execute malicious code.

• The Time Rider and user like this

LDT is LDT.

#7 user

user

• 765 posts

Regular User

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:17

You should also report him from his steam profile. If he gets enough reports for his activities he will probably get some sort of punishment.

#8 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:37

I always clicked the link though. Then examined the downloaded file (without executing it) and uploaded it to an online virus-scanner that basically runs all possible scanners on it. Virus confirmed, person deleted from friends. Woop woop.

Downloading the file isn't an issue. Opening the file is. They are in .scr format, which is then opened as a screensaver. It is likely making use of an exploit in windows' screensaver software to execute malicious code.

I wouldn't need a virus scanner to know something's up when a stranger sends me a link to an unknown website without any information, that the URL mentions images and you actually get to download an executable file. Nothing suspicious here whatsoever.

The most patient man in the world

#9 Patokia

Patokia

• 781 posts

Good Shit

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:11

That must be the reason why I got 3 friend requests. 

Added them, INSTANTLY get messaged. obviously a bot then. One even messaged me again at 6am (forgot to unfriend, only had him blocked so the next day I had an unread message and I was curious) 

Here's a tip: If a random person adds you, go to his profile. If he only has 1 to 5 games with 0.x hours played, its most likely a bot. To check accept his friend request, and if you INSTANTLY get messaged with something like "Hey dude, I would like to trade" or as happened to me aswell "Hey mate" (next line coming, no "thisperson is typing") "A friend of mine says hes got problems messaging you" (Not even a single mutual friend), "This is his profile [link with the word communyty, obviously fake]". block, delete, and report that person then.

TL;DR Its pretty obvious if someone is a bot with a suspicious link, carefully read the link and instantly block and report him.

#10 Catkillerfive

Catkillerfive

• 2,801 posts

doating all day

• Steam:Catkillerfive
  • LocationDalaran

Posted 15 November 2014 - 14:14

I regularly get added by Trade Bots who try to scam me of my items, if they have next to no previous names (Look at Aliases). They are most likely a bot.

76561198037959911.png

#11 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 15 November 2014 - 22:42

As far as I know, .scr files are just renamed .exe files. At least, I know it's possible to simply change the .exe extension to .scr to make windows recognize it as a screensaver.

#12 ZONIC

ZONIC

• 194 posts

User

• LocationUK

Posted 16 November 2014 - 21:29

Thanks for the warning Fox. Someone just added me and sent me the link. Removed him instantly :D

EDIT: Its happend 5 times in a row within the last 3 mins to me xD

#13 xTorturer

xTorturer

• 779 posts

Runner till Death

• LocationSomewhere in Dutchlandia

Posted 16 November 2014 - 23:21

who fell for this? honestly?

• Pandaboy, Commander and Slendy the Slenderman like this

2ZDJOHA.gif I LOV POKAYMUNS 2ZDJOHA.gif2ZDJOHA.gif2ZDJOHA.gif

#14 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 21 November 2014 - 21:24

Seems to be a new one, similar to this now.. or something, idk. I didn't click the link, but got this message from someone on my steam list just now:

Hi I would like to give you this item. You want it? screen4you.in/screen_431568.png

judging from the url it looks like a .png, but it's suspicious.

#15 Fox

Fox

• 1,203 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 21 November 2014 - 21:29

it is the same kind of stuff going around at the moment, don't touch it,  leave it alone, it's dangerous.

#16 user

user

• 765 posts

Regular User

Posted 21 November 2014 - 21:33

Got that message twice from the same person :D

#17 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,430 posts

Owner

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:17

Yeah, the link says dot png, but it will have you downloading something else instead.
It is amazing how many people must have fallen for this. And then everybody wonders why their inventory gets hacked...
  • Fox likes this

LDT is LDT.

#18 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 22 November 2014 - 23:03

I don't get how people fall for it.. The message is written in such an unnatural way :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users