Manual Control Thruster Turret Tutorial

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 my_hat_stinks

my_hat_stinks

• 4,340 posts

Not a people person

Posted 05 March 2011 - 00:13

This turret is considerably more difficult to set up than a standard facer turret, if all you need is a quick stationary turret, see Here

A note on accuracy: The turret, when configured properly, will have a 100% accuracy, but it will also have an offset of the distance between the seat and the turret
For the highest accuracy, keep the turret close to the seat

Step 1: Make a seat

Posted Image

Step 2: Make and link an advanced pod controller

Posted Image

Step 3: Make a gps on the seat
Do not listen to tutorials that say put it on the moving prop, they are made by people who really have no idea how this works
You want to translate the world vector (The output from the pod controller) into a local vector (What vector thrusters use), to do that you need to know your position, not the position of the turret
This local vector will then be transfered to the thruster, which will move in that direction. Being pinned to the moving prop, it will drag it along, and since the moving prop is ball socketed, it will stop as close as possible
This means the moving prop is effectively aimed towards where the player is looking, with the offset of the distance between the player and turret

Posted Image

Step 4: Make a Vector Subtraction gate

Posted Image

Step 5: Subtract: GPS - Aim Pos (Advanced pod controller)

Posted Image

Step 6: Two props, one will be the base stationary prop for the turret, the other will be the base moving prop for the turret
If you are building the turret as part of a ship, use a ship hull prop as the base

Posted Image

Step 7: Ballsocket the props together

Posted Image

Step 8: <Optional> No collide world
This step is optional, but I highly recommend you do it as it will reduce the chances of breaking the turret by colliding with something
First right click on the prop, to no collide it with all other props, then left click the prop then ground, to no collide it with world
This effectively makes the prop a "Ghost", in that it can't directly interact with anything (Except anything constrained to it, and weaponary)

Posted Image

Step 9: Attatch a vector thruster to the outer edge of the moving prop. Be sure to no collide this, too, otherwise the no collide in steop 8 is useless

Posted Image

Step 10: Wire the Vector from the vector thruster into Out of the vector subtraction gate

Posted Image
I know the screenshot shows the subtraction reversed, it's a mistake, ignore it

#2 my_hat_stinks

my_hat_stinks

• 4,340 posts

Not a people person

Posted 05 March 2011 - 00:13

Step 10: Wire Mul from the vector thruster to Active on the pod controller
This will ensure it only moves while there is someone controlling it

Posted Image

Step 11: Position the turret
Be sure not to place it so far from the seat that the offset makes it difficult to aim

Posted Image

Step 12: <Optional> Wire Crosshairs to a constant value 1, or to Active on the pod controller
After some testing, it turns out that occasianally getting out the seat while crosshairs are wired toa ctive can remove the player's crosshair, so I recommend wiring it into a constant value 1

Posted Image

Step 13: <Important> Set the weights of each moving part including the gun and vector thruster to 1, this will reduce or remove the mount of swinging from the turret once it starts aiming at the target
A different weight may be necessary in different circumstances, so some tweaking may be required

Posted Image

Step 14: Test
Be sure the aim is relatively accurate, with a small offset
Test against both medium and long range targets, as that would be the most likely range for a gunfight
If a target is in close-range, the offset will be a lot mroe noticable, but usually the target will not have weaponary to shoot back at that range

Posted Image

Step 15: Troubleshoot
I can almost gaurantee it won't work perfectly first try

Posted Image
A light turret. THis turret has the weight set too low and is splitting

Posted Image
(Exaggerated) A large offset. This turret is too far from the seat, and is difficult to aim

Posted Image
A heavy turret. This turret has it's weight set too high, and so can't look up to the target
Alternative problem caused by heavy turrets: Excessive swinging when aiming at target

Posted Image
A perfect turret. The offset is only slightly below the aim, and so the target is nearly the exact point the player aims

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users