• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

• Steam:microlander

Posted 01 June 2014 - 21:00

Ive made a remake of collision road but i want to have the person who made this map permission so i can maybe have it to be on gmr :o   

Spoiler

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2z82psj.jpg

http://oi58.tinypic.com/8vw9r5.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2aj2vdi.jpg

76561198084161294.png

#2 yagwog

yagwog

• 6,303 posts

fucking degenerate i'll post when i want fam ldt is shit sti

Posted 01 June 2014 - 21:11

... So you decompiled the previous map without permission too?

• microlander likes this

my response to vaping being "cool" tbh fam

"stimulates the same circuitry that was simulated when u sucked on ur mommas titty

faggot"

#3 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

Posted 01 June 2014 - 21:14

... So you decompiled the previous map without permission too?

thats why im asking for his permission to do anything with it 

76561198084161294.png

#4 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 01 June 2014 - 21:26

No thanks.
The map is fine.
  • Pandaboy likes this

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#5 Daniel

Daniel

• 1,543 posts

GMR Addict!

• LocationEngland

Posted 01 June 2014 - 22:17

Indeed, the map is fine how it is. Have you edited the track at all or just added textures to it?

Also the creator is B-Phoenix, doubt he'd mind but really you should have asked first.

#6 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

Posted 01 June 2014 - 22:31

I'm asking him when hes back online and i have changed some parts of track and added ramps and more objects, the map might be fine how it was but i just wanted to show you what it would look like with these textures and extra parts

76561198084161294.png

#7 Eclipse

Eclipse

• 299 posts

Regular User

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:24

No, just no. It was fine how it is. 

Adding ramps and other objects isn't what it needs, its called Collision Road for a reason, so why make it less than that?

#8 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:38

I'm going to be blunt.  You need to work on your mapping abilities.  Seeing how other maps are made is okay, but it is terrible to copy them with a few add-on things.  You would be better off working on a single map through multiple iterations until you feel comfortable with it.  (was actually my process with Tricky Dick)

EDIT:  I'm surprised you let me have my earlier versions of Tricky Dick on the server, Bob.  x3

What, I don't think my handwriting can be done through typing, you know.

#9 Fox

Fox

• 1,203 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:58

To be honest, i did like the white/orange style of B-Phoenix more

#10 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:27

every post on these forums its 80% negativity

Sorry mate, there's nothing to be positive about if you decompile a map without permission, then pretend to have upgraded it by plastering it with ugly, stock textures.

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#11 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:31

To be fair MicroLander doesn't need to get burned down as much for the action of decompiling as he is now, as he honestly asked for the author to ask permission.

Sure, it's afterward doing the decompile, but it is before release, and that is what counts!

There is no harm done in decompiling any map for educational or personal use. There is only (and much) harm done in publishing a decompiled map.

Aside from that matter, I do not believe the current modifications are (significantly) improving the map, hence we do not want to do this.

• microlander likes this

LDT is LDT.

#12 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 02 June 2014 - 14:16

I'm going to be blunt.  You need to work on your mapping abilities.

^ This

Just applying some textures to the map is only gonna make it worse. Collision road seems to be designed with dev textures in mind - so if you just try to apply "realistic" textures it will look repetitive and ugly. For it to work, you would need to add a theme to the map, and a lot more geometry detail that fits your theme (so players aren't questioning "wtf is this thing doing here?").

The new Triple Decker is a perfect example of a good remake. It's made from scratch with a theme in mind (highways), and it has a good amount of details.

I have to also agree with Psycix:

Decompiling is okay, as long as new versions aren't released without the original creator's consent (and micro is asking about it so that's fine). If a map creator doesn't want his map decompiled he can use decompile protection.

However, if you're planning to use the original geometry, it's a lot better to send a message to the map creator, because he is likely to have the original .VMF lying around somewhere. Decompiling is inaccurate, so decompiled maps are likely to have bugs or other things gone wrong.

#13 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

Posted 02 June 2014 - 16:37

Sorry mate, there's nothing to be positive about if you decompile a map without permission, then pretend to have upgraded it by plastering it with ugly, stock textures.

i only did it for map for educational use and just wanted to show but you just have hissy fits over anything i do.. anyways im gonna re work this map from scratch if i get permission to do so then soon ill show you and see the hopefully improvements and what what style theme should it be im thinking of Mario (colourful developer textures) or either city type   

No, just no. It was fine how it is. 

Adding ramps and other objects isn't what it needs, its called Collision Road for a reason, so why make it less than that?

Im Adding More of a collision ;)

76561198084161294.png

#14 Fox

Fox

• 1,203 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 02 June 2014 - 16:47

the collision is pretty hard already too because when someone wants to go for a record one slower car just usually takes a sharp turn and your car spins out

#15 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

Posted 02 June 2014 - 17:29

the collision is pretty hard already too because when someone wants to go for a record one slower car just usually takes a sharp turn and your car spins out

Or they just blow up ;D

76561198084161294.png

#16 lynx

lynx

• 168 posts

User

• LocationNew vegas.

Posted 02 June 2014 - 19:40

Poor fellow.

• JamesJamesJames, lynx and microlander like this

You've never lived until you have touched an animal.

#17 elite

elite

• 1,426 posts

Forum Regular

• LocationEngland

Posted 03 June 2014 - 21:29

Hmm, I think you're being a little harsh, I'm assuming it's the first time you have made a map so the fact that even after decompiling it you new you needed to ask permission to publish it is good. I do have to agree that the current version looks better atm and re-texturing isn't a good enough improvement. However, if you get permission and re-work it, maybe I will be better next time, you never know!

#18 Eclipse

Eclipse

• 299 posts

Regular User

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:46

Hmm, I think you're being a little harsh, I'm assuming it's the first time you have made a map so the fact that even after decompiling it you new you needed to ask permission to publish it is good. I do have to agree that the current version looks better atm and re-texturing isn't a good enough improvement. However, if you get permission and re-work it, maybe I will be better next time, you never know!

He has made several maps that will not be on the server, but decompiling it and changing it in this matter, won't help out. 

You still need to make your own maps and get better rather than customize someone elses map and hope for it to be good like Showfur said.

You still haven't learned. (I don't care if I'm being harsh, I'm more pointed to it now anyways)

#19 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 04 June 2014 - 14:30

I think that everything that should have been said has been said and any further discussion will go nowhere.

We're done here!

Thread locked.

• Pandaboy likes this

LDT is LDT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users