11 replies to this topic

#1 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 17 May 2014 - 14:40

https://dl.dropboxus...0211087/wtf.png

CPU usage by processor being idle is between 60-100%

Reboot didn't fix. Is my computer dying for good ;__;?

#2 Blackheart

Blackheart

• 4,704 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 17 May 2014 - 14:45

What? CPU usage is at 16%? System Idle is nothing you need to worry about, can't remember specifically..

#3 Sythen

Sythen

• 604 posts

I LOVE MY BRICK!

• Steam:STEAM_0:1:7052825
  • LocationBirmingham, England

Posted 17 May 2014 - 16:39

When your cpu is idle e.g. not doing dick all, the system idle process will always by at a high percentage.

03ooAKk.png

3BrOigM.png

Posted Image

"Motoki: vaginas are gay"

#4 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 17 May 2014 - 17:46

I've never seen that process in my task manager before..

And it's affecting my computer like hell. Took me about 20 seconds after hitting enter after typing in "ldt.gg" before my computer even tried loading the website :v.. even while typing this my computer is "staggering".

It started while I was playing gmod, where I noticed getting like 2 second lag spikes regularly.

Did a malware scan, and no results. And I restored factory conditions not long ago so it's pretty clean as well.

Is it possible that my processor is simply giving in :P? considering my computer is an over 4 year old laptop which has been used very extensively

#5 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 17 May 2014 - 18:29

Check your temperatures. You can use a program like SpeedFan for this. (Even though it's not entirely reliable)
Perhaps it's gotten rather dusty over the years and now that summer is around the corner the internal temps are too high and it's being throttled. 

Does he happen to make a lot of noise? More than usual?

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#6 Sythen

Sythen

• 604 posts

I LOVE MY BRICK!

• Steam:STEAM_0:1:7052825
  • LocationBirmingham, England

Posted 17 May 2014 - 19:28

As Bob said, Check your temps, if you have had the machine for 4 years and its not had any form of hardware based maintainence, its likely that the TIM (thermal interface material) between your cpu and the heatsync had probly dried out and isnt transfering heat to the cooler. I'd look into replacing it.

Posted Image

"Motoki: vaginas are gay"

#7 Blackheart

Blackheart

• 4,704 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 17 May 2014 - 19:47

Might be RAM too, should get that checked.

#8 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 17 May 2014 - 20:26

It's concerning a laptop, by the way.

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#9 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:35

I haven't checked temperatures using a software, but it's not giving out more noise than usual. And feeling with my hand now it's slightly above body temperature. I always keep my laptop on a stand with a fan underneath so I can supply it with extra cooling when running games with high-end graphics (but when playing gmod that's rarely necessary).

Hmm. I should just accept that I need to buy a new computer.

Spoiler

I looked around on the different rigs here, but not sure which of them would suit me more. any more than $600 feels like a bit much (need to get a monitor too), but at the same time I'm wondering if a quad-core i5 processor would be better than one with 8 cores, but those rigs cost a lot more, and I have no knowledge what parts work with each other, so I don't trust myself to change parts in one of the rigs :P

#10 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:28

Those builds look alright but they're extremely gaming oriented.
They often allocate 30-50% of the budget to the graphics card.
These builds are literally "how can you get the most FPS out of as little money as possible".
I think buying a new PC with 4GB RAM and CPU under an i3 Haswell is a waste of money.
If you do other things with your PC than gaming (and I know you do) it's worth investing in something more complete.

Remember you can always adjust and upgrade later, so you could get an average graphics card first. Six months after, when you've got a little bit of money again, you buy a killer graphics card and you're set. Graphics cards in particular are easy to replace and always compatible. Also easy to sell; I've had good experiences with second hand graphics cards. Buying second hand and selling on your old is an extremely efficient way for budget gaming.

Really you can get a €80 graphics card from somewhere and you'll be able to play CS:GO on max settings without FPS drops.
It depends on what you're ultimately going to use the PC for.

Boring story

Spoiler

#11 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:16

Hmm.. I do a lot of gaming though, and if I make something it's usually with a game in mind, or I'm using a software that doesn't require a super-computer. But to be honest, I don't care that much about getting 60+ FPS on 1080p max settings... But I have a lot of steam games I cannot play due to getting like 3fps (Dead Rising 2, Batman Origins, etc.), so it'd be nice if I could run games like that with good FPS on at least medium settings.

That's some useful information bob, I had no clue graphics cards are always compatible :>. getting a cheaper one sounds like a good idea then.
8gb ram is a must. i have 3gb atm and it constantly feels like too little, so upgrading to 4gb seems meaningless.
Processor feel like an important part too. Maybe it's worth investing $180 on the Intel Core i5-4460? The dollar is extremely low to the swedish currency at the moment.. the Intel Core i5-4460 costs 1639kr here.. which translates to  $250. ... So with that in mind, even though I don't have much money atm, when I'm buying online for dollars with the current economy, it's like I'm buying the good parts for the price of the not-as-good parts :P.

hmm.. What else is there to allocate the budget on other than Video card, RAM and processor :P?

those other parts seem rather cheap and I wouldn't know the difference of higher-priced ones.

#12 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:22

I wouldn't order from outside Sweden, shipping costs and sometimes import tax can rack up real high. Also you might want to have some decent warranty, there's always the chance one of your parts might be DoA. (Dead on Arrival)
Don't quite me on the cost thing, but I have my reservations about the "I can get it cheaper in the US" idea.

Yes, getting a 4460 or even a 4670K like I did is definitely a good decision. The thing about CPUs is that the socket keeps changing and unlike graphics cards they're more difficult to upgrade after a couple of years. Intel uses the Intel Tick-Tock model meaning other generation it does a tick, every other generation it does a tock.

A "Tick" is a "Die shrink" where the process technology is physically reduced in size, a tick does not call for a new socket
A "Tock" happens when Intel introduces new Microarchitecture and thus a new socket.

The current generation of Intel CPUs ("Haswell") are a Tock from the Sandy and Ivy -Bridge Microarchitechtures; a new socket.
You could, in theory, get a mediocre to decent CPU and upgrade to the 14nm Broadwell CPU line when they're released. It's very dependent on whether you're able to spend some cash right now or are really strapped and anything you could possible buy later would be better.

(The "K" in the CPU name signifies it's overclockable, my CPU is clocked at 3.4GHz but goes to 4.2GHz when necessary, a substantial difference you might want to think about)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users