26 replies to this topic

#1 Commander

Commander

• 1,631 posts

You Win or You Die

• LocationEindhoven

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:08

Hi guys!

I want to get a new monitor since 1 of the 3 monitors I have has some dead pixels in it and I do not have warranty on it anymore.. (And they are 75Hz and not 120 or 144 xD)
And to get 3 new monitors would be a bit silly imo xD
I only want to get 1 new monitor since I only game on 1 monitor (because retarded thick bezels xD)  and do other stuff on the other ones. So they don't have to align perfectly next to each other.
If I was going to game on 3 monitors though then I would have just bought the same one again :P

I talked to Bob and he helped me to make my choice but then I found another monitor which (if I believe all the reviews) is way better etc. So now I don't know which one to choose anymore D:

I was thinking about one of these monitors:
Eizo Foris FG2421 Black - The one that made me doubt xD
BenQ XL2720Z - Found this one and reading reviews it looks pretty good.
ASUS VG278HE - The one that Bob suggested.
Comparision table The 4th monitor in the table (the IIYAMA one) are the monitors I have at the moment.

I am still looking around and I don't necessarily want 1 of those 3 so if you know a better monitor post it here as well :D

I am also doubting between a 24" or a 27", the 3 monitors I have at the moment are 24" and the one that has some dead pixels is a newer model (old one was not available anymore >.>) an is 23,8".

I mostly play FPS games so that is one of the reasons for choosing a monitor with a higher Hz.

And if I choose the Foris monitor I am considering to take a package where you get a good speaker set with it and around €200 discount in total. (Monitor costs 500 euro and speaker set as well total costs would be € 780. I am considering this because my speaker set broke about 3-4 months ago and never bought a new one because I was short on money at that time ^^
Spoiler

76561197999667690.png

"You better add fox so you can feel normal with him" ~Dr Scheisse

"You know what would suck? If Half life 3 sucked." ~Pie

"This all wouldnt be happend." ~ eddyke1

"Tachibana.♥: Im German remember
Tachibana.♥: Heil Hitler."

Join Dropbox now! :)

Spoiler

#2 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,430 posts

Owner

Posted 24 April 2014 - 13:16

Personally I prefer 27", the VA-panel one seems very good, but also expensive, so I'm not too sure wether or not it's worth the money (it will also make your other two monitors look like shit)

What I'd do, is wait until G-sync monitors become more affordable. It's like V-sync 2.0 that is smoother and has less input lag than non-vsync.

• Trif likes this

LDT is LDT.

#3 Commander

Commander

• 1,631 posts

You Win or You Die

• LocationEindhoven

Posted 24 April 2014 - 14:14

Yea that is probably why I am not going for a 27" since the other 2 monitors are 24" so it will look better if a new monitor will be 24" (or 23,8" very small difference)

And also doesn't G-Sync only work on Nvidea graphics cards? Since I have 2x a Asus HD 6870 and not a Nvidea :P

76561197999667690.png

Spoiler

#4 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,430 posts

Owner

Posted 24 April 2014 - 15:48

Hmmk ignore Gsync then.

Having different size monitors isn't all that bad. I have a 22 next to my 27 and I kinda like it that way.

In terms having different monitors, the difference in color tone will be much more disturbing. Especially if you buy the VA one, the deep contrast will make the black on your other monitors look like grey.

LDT is LDT.

#5 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,527 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 24 April 2014 - 16:06

G-Sync is a very simple technology that every monitor should have, but is not worth getting because:
- The effect essentially disappears as soon as you have a graphics card that's overkill (Which you should)
- It's a lot more money for a whole lot of nothing
- The G-sync module replaces the original manufacturer's model, completely removing any functionality for buttons on the monitor

Also you need NVIDIA cards indeed, which is either a really big problem for you or none at all.

On 24" vs 27"
It's really a matter of personal preference, but bigger screens cost more and almost only by definition have a higher input lag which shouldn't even be worth mentioning.
You can sit farther away from your monitor which is better for your eyes. (Your eyes are at rest when looking into infinity and the most stressed when viewing things right under your nose) Everything will be easier to see and read, you can watch something with multiple people if need be.

BenQ vs ASUS
I couldn't find any concrete and unconflicting results on this. Reviewer A claimed the BenQ was vastly superior where reviewer B claimed that ASUS' monitors were clearly better. All I can say for sure is that BenQ monitors are designed to look slightly nicer and are a tad more expensive.

That VA panel monitor looks kind of cool but realize that:
1. It's actually 120Hz with some fancy backlight flashing, probably not even motion interpolation.
2. It's way more expensive than anything comparable.
3. VA panels have insanely good black values but suffer from horizontal viewing angle problems. (TN is worse but only vertical)
4. It's only 24".

Don't get carried away with the speakers, they look kind of shitty and you can get really good ones for less. (Just ask me or Max)

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#6 Commander

Commander

• 1,631 posts

You Win or You Die

• LocationEindhoven

Posted 24 April 2014 - 16:07

@Psy

Well the IIYAMA ones suck imo at color display so black already looks kinda grey *insert nigger joke here*

Hmm ok it might not be that disturbing if it will be in the middle so 24" on the sides and 27" in the middle.

But still im doubting heavily to choose the Eizo though since it is just good and well yea 24". I will read some more reviews of the 3 monitors.

What monitor would you pick out of the 3? (not looking at the price)

-Edit got ninjad by bob lol xD

76561197999667690.png

Spoiler

#7 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 24 April 2014 - 16:08

I don't get why people have 2 or 3 monitors, what more does it bring?

(Genuine question)

• Tabole likes this
The most patient man in the world

#8 Commander

Commander

• 1,631 posts

You Win or You Die

• LocationEindhoven

Posted 24 April 2014 - 16:34

@bob Alright, Ill drop the Eizo then. thought I disagree with number 4 you stated, 24" is not a downside but yea why get a 24" when you can get a 27" :)

On the other points I agree so yea... bye Eizo :P

Also holy fuck that contrast ratio of the ASUS monitor...

Spoiler

I don't know if that will make a huge difference between both screens but if not then I think I am going for the BenQ but that would be more of a personal choice (I like the design of the BenQ more)

And also about what speakerset are you talking about then bob? :D

@Loadingue really, if you once had 2 monitors you never want to go back to 1 monitor anymore. (just hook up your laptop to ur monitor if u have one and you will see) I use my second and third monitor for other programs like skype window, steam chats, websites, Teamspeak while gaming. I mainly got 2 screens first because I started programming and hated programming on 1 screen (I tried it on 2 screens @ a friends place) so now I usually have notepad++ on 1 screen and the website itself on the other one.

76561197999667690.png

Spoiler

#9 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,527 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 24 April 2014 - 17:06

That's dynamic contrast ratio, don't pay attention to it.

Look around for speakers; they're not really a competitive market and you'll have little success trying to find good ones on good comparison sites like Tweakers. I picked up my speakers for about €110 in an Informatique limited time offer a couple years ago. It's the Logitech Z-2300 (200W RMS) but they don't sell this one any more. In fact it seems they just keep coming out with new stuff for the heck of it. If you want to spend a good amount you can go and get something like this:

http://www.alternate...64?tk=7&lk=9871

But look around for local stores and get something that you like, it really doesn't matter all that much and it's hard to tell what quality is.
My speakers are just about the most "bang for your buck" speakers I've ever come across yet they surpass the audio quality of for example Psy's and also my dad's speaker sets.

All I can say is that if you're going to look for 2.1 Speakers this size, you need to understand that quietly listening to music on it isn't really happening and you need a headset. If you just want something to "play the sound of your movie" or casually listen to music without having to shout in each others ears to communicate, get something less. (<100W) Every now and then I like to blast it "full" volume, but 95% of the time an 80W set would've done the same job. Up to you.

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#10 Commander

Commander

• 1,631 posts

You Win or You Die

• LocationEindhoven

Posted 24 April 2014 - 20:30

That's dynamic contrast ratio, don't pay attention to it.

Ok then I am going for the BenQ XL2720Z (27 Inch).
Psycix & Bob thank you for your reply's/input :)

76561197999667690.png

Spoiler

#11 Cyrill Jones

Cyrill Jones

• 2,156 posts

JAH!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 00:53

I don't get why people have 2 or 3 monitors, what more does it bring?

(Genuine question)

You cant be serious

Inaat : urban ddpat

Inaat : u serios

#12 Max

Max

• 3,257 posts

I like rusty stuff

Posted 25 April 2014 - 00:57

I've been trying to find a third monitor for ages, two don't cut it. I want them all to be the same though.

#13 Commander

Commander

• 1,631 posts

You Win or You Die

• LocationEindhoven

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:41

I think I don't care if they are not the same, the new one will be in the middle.
I am buying the monitor where I can return the monitor easy and get the money back in case when I've set it up at home and see it 27" is horrible or something or I do care that they are not the same.

Btw i just saw that this monitor is coming out soon BenQ XL2720G

It is a newer version then the monitor I want to get ( BenQ XL2720Z ). So I looked at the specs of the new BenQ XL2720G and I saw the only thing that is different is that it supports G-Sync is that right or does it have more other shit? If yes is it worth waiting for the newer model?

76561197999667690.png

Spoiler

#14 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,527 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:16

I've found that it does matter, kind of. The alignment isn't such a big deal, I got over that in minutes. Really I can look at an icon on my second (24") monitor and hit it with precision and without effort. The problem is primarily that because my monitors have such a vast quality difference, I've got to manage where I put my content very carefully. When I'm watching a video on my second screen I can't stand the fact that it's smaller, darker en less vivid so I often just drag it onto my first if I'm actively watching it. Non-equivalent screens force you to make choices.

This is because my first 24" screen is old as fuck, (VGA, CCFL backlit) and also because I'm just obsessive with video quality and stuff.

#15 Commander

Commander

• 1,631 posts

You Win or You Die

• LocationEindhoven

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:48

Hmm meh I am gonna go for the model that is out now, since then I don't have to wait and the new model might be much more expensive. And I can't use G-Sync anyways. 

So thanks for your feedback guys :D

76561197999667690.png

Spoiler

#16 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 25 April 2014 - 18:02

You cant be serious

I still don't see the need for 2 monitors. I can understand if you're a programmer or something and you need to have multiple websites and programs at the same time, but even that you can easily manage without.

Sorry, I'm not trying to derail this thread.

#17 Cyrill Jones

Cyrill Jones

• 2,156 posts

JAH!

Posted 25 April 2014 - 18:29

There is no way I could survive without 2+ screens, the imporvement of workflow is huge.

Even while playing a game I could be doing something else such as watching a film or looking up stuff on the wiki.

At the moment I have a game in the middle, social stuff (Skype, steam etc) on the left and chrome on the right.

bddefeb20b345c765efcd8348266ad76.png

Inaat : urban ddpat

Inaat : u serios

#18 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,430 posts

Owner

Posted 25 April 2014 - 23:48

I mainly use it for teamspeak, steam friends, steam chat, or just websites I want to deal with later.

I use a 3rd party program for multiple taskbars, so even when minimised, I can use it to clean up my taskbar sp that always-on windows like TS and steam are not cluttering my main taskbar.

a371edcfea8b317de637c234851c30f9.png

LDT is LDT.

#19 yagwog

yagwog

• 6,300 posts

fucking degenerate i'll post when i want fam ldt is shit sti

Posted 26 April 2014 - 00:05

Second screens help so much. especially for teamspeak, but even when i'm not using my general 3 programs I'm using it for mulitple things, I agree with psy, but those fucking window bars are ugly as dicks.

QR83sCw.jpg

my response to vaping being "cool" tbh fam

"stimulates the same circuitry that was simulated when u sucked on ur mommas titty

faggot"

#20 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:25

I think I can see the improvement now. But it's probably more useful to people with certain needs or wants than to others. I'll make do with one for now, but I'll consider the idea in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users