View New Content
Forums
Photo
- - - - -

Sandbox map

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Sandbox map poll: (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Which sandbox map would you rather play on?

1. gm_flatgrass (1 votes [4.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

2. A custom map with a large flat open area & water (8 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. I want more map features than just flatgrass & water. (14 votes [58.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

4. Something else (specify in a post) (1 votes [4.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 29 April 2014 - 15:28

Visleafs have a maximum size, hence the gridlike structure in the original flatgrass.

I could try compiling it on my pc.

LDT is LDT.

#22 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 29 April 2014 - 21:34

thanks, that'd be great if you wanted to give it a try :).

I'll just have to lower the resolution of the cubemaps a bit though, after building them map size went from 10MB to 90MB (oops!). so I have to fix that first.

#23 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:01

Worth it? :D

LDT is LDT.

#24 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:20

Yeah I guess, especially if people like those crystal clear reflections.

But unless players paint everything with a chrome material (like I did in those screenies), they won't notice a slightly blurrier reflection, since most materials reflect just slightly.

Doing a test compile now to see how big of a difference a smaller cubemap size really does.

Edit:

Compiled the cubemaps at 64x64 resolution (previous screenshots were 128x128)

It seems HDR is what increases map size so much:

• without cubemaps:    10 288kb
  • with LDR cubemaps:   11 544kb
  • with LDR+HDR cubemaps:  31 273kb   <--- this is an acceptable size and cubemaps look alright :>

#25 Neko_Baron

Neko_Baron

• 17 posts

Forum Newbie

Posted 02 May 2014 - 13:07

if you want to compile vis faster use func_viscluster (or whatever it is), its for large open areas and tells the engine that any visleafs touching the viscluster brush can defiantly see each other so it skips calculating if they can see each other which saves a lot of pointless calculations.

func_viscluster wont make a map any faster but will cut down a lot of compile time when used correctly.

• Hardcore Bob likes this

#26 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 02 May 2014 - 17:03

Yeah, I figured that out just an hour or so after my last post x). I recalled there was a way to hint vvis about the visleaves, but all I could think of was the hint toolstexture. then I searched around a bit and found func_viscluster on the wiki :>.

Managed to decrese the vvis compile time from d245777abca64ece2d5d7ca0d19fddb6.png to about 1 minute.

That leaves only 1 wierd issue in the map: The 3D skybox rendering inside itself.

People on the source SDK forums sais it's "normal behaviour" (and "what are you even doing in the 3D skybox..?")

However, I've checked the skybox on gm_flatgrass, and it does not appear like that.

Any ideas how to prevent the 3D skybox from rendering from within the 3D skybox itself?

(using the toolsskybox2d texture had no effect, I wonder if it's because I'm compiling for CS:S, it sais on VDC that the 2D skybox is only available for source 2007 and later)

#27 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 17:34

I'm not sure, I have seen this before on working/final maps and such. I'm not sure what causes it but I don't expect it's an issue we can't overlook. You could try saving, removing the 3D Skybox, remaking it, and see if it happens still.

EDIT: Check if the original sky_camera entity (in the real map) is still there.

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#28 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 02 May 2014 - 17:55

Yeah, I've seen it work (and made it work) in maps before

I made a very basic test map, and it happens there as well, that's why I'm suspecting the CS:S game configuration or something.

I'm downloading source base 2013 multiplayer and HL2: episode 2 now to see if I can make it work with any of those.

I'm also pretty certain this didn't happen before I formatted my hard drive, which is another reason I suspect my current configuration.

(yep, there's only one sky_camera)

#29 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 04 May 2014 - 15:10

I've tried and tried, but can't seem to get it to work.

I made a test map, and tested it in HL2: Episode 2.

One second, it looks like this:

screenshot

Then, by just loading it up a few minutes later (without recompiling), I get this:

screenshot

What the f*ck?

But it seems it works just fine when it's loaded up in garrysmod, so that's awesome!

So I proceeded to do the same thing with the sandbox map.

But nope. Have compiled it over and over but it just won't render properly.

And honesetly, it looks too glitchy to release a map like that (it looks even worse in the sandbox map due to the water, which renders a huge blue square in the sky)..

and since I've tried to make it work for about 4 days now, I'm about to throw my computer out the window.

• Hardcore Bob likes this

#30 FRAG

FRAG

• 6,274 posts

Not your normal S'H'A'R'K

Posted 04 May 2014 - 15:20

I'll take a look for ya, just grabbed the zip.

[FRAGleveldesign.com] "The home of FRAG"

76561197980033738.png

#31 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 04 May 2014 - 22:39

I should have mentioned this btw, the map requires a certain process when building cubemaps and packing the textures, so if it's successfully compiled by someone, send the bsp and I'll do the rest (cubemaps & packing)

Spoiler

#32 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 26 April 2015 - 12:38

A year later, and this map is released: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=432484761

It's now the official map of the sandbox server I'm hosting.

I gave up on fixing the graphical glitch before, and put this map on the shelf..

I still haven't fixed the skybox glitch btw, but by placing the 3D skybox above the map, it looks acceptable :).

The released version only contains grass / beach / water, but I might add more features when I get used to hammer editor again :P

• Valikai and queen bee like this

#33 Daniel

Daniel

• 1,543 posts

GMR Addict!

• LocationEngland

Posted 26 April 2015 - 22:06

Wow been a year since this discussion. Feels like days ago since this was brought up, how time flies :(

• user likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users