LDT Sandbox!

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 user

user

• 765 posts

Regular User

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:57

Making a new map will be best. I'll start off with the fact it needs to be big, relatively flat, have a body of water and a tall skybox. I'm not sure about structures, some people like being in a garage or hangar when they build because that closed off area gives them more fps and isolates them from the chaos outside. 

#42 FRAG

FRAG

• 6,274 posts

Not your normal S'H'A'R'K

Posted 15 April 2014 - 13:13

So basically we want gm_flatgrass with water and a better building?

Want me to make one?

• bongfeng5000 and Revengekeuh like this

[FRAGleveldesign.com] "The home of FRAG"

76561197980033738.png

#43 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 15 April 2014 - 14:14

Hmmm I think we should work with more people together to produce a map that is more than just flatgrass with water.

We need to analyse everything that can be in a map, make multiple designs, and have multiple mappers work on it. It'd be an awesome project with absolutely stunning result.

LDT is LDT.

#44 bongfeng5000

bongfeng5000

• 2,619 posts

ayyyy

Posted 15 April 2014 - 14:17

Let's not get too ambitious, if we go over the top it will just take too long and eventually people will lose interest.

• FRAG, Pandaboy and Axenstedt : d like this

Yeah because I wasn't the was I?!?

raf simons rick owens usually what i'm dressed in
copping wavey garms on the daily

"why would you get mad at a game?" - Marmite

#45 Valikai

Valikai

• 927 posts

Regular User

Posted 15 April 2014 - 14:25

SANDBOX MAPPING GATHER!

• FRAG and Revengekeuh like this

"still that smileyface guy also called yigwog still is a nerd and ugly" - Eddyke1

#46 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 15 April 2014 - 15:18

Guys I already started on a map yesterday xD.. Didn't say anything since I didn't know if a custom map was wanted. looks like this atm (3d skybox is still just flat, but I'll change that):

2014-04-15_00002.jpg

At the moment, it's pretty much the same as flatgrass, but near the ocean. Still an early WIP. but it has all the basics that all sandbox maps should have in gmod13:

• Max x/y map size in hammer editor
  • Dynamic gmod13 skybox
  • Grass texture that doesn't feel extremely repetivitve
  • Balanced water depth (too deep is annoying and glitchy in sandbox!)
  • Tall skybox (still enough space to make something underground if that's wanted)
  • large 3d skybox

What I don't like about other custom sandbox maps with water is that they usually just add a random square pool of water (and usually too deep). with this setup, you could even pretend you're in the middle of the ocean :3.

Honestly I don't think we should make too big of a project with the map, because most builders really just need a large space to be creative on. But if you guys want to collaborate, we could use this as a start if you want ^^

#47 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 15 April 2014 - 15:27

It is still missing a secret room of a specific type.

What, I don't think my handwriting can be done through typing, you know.

#48 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 15 April 2014 - 15:29

Max size is commonly defaulted to, but realise that we have the option of having multiple areas above eachother, if we don't need to full height.

LDT is LDT.

#49 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 15 April 2014 - 15:44

@psy

sorry I always edit my posts after making them xD.. yeah the map is just max in size on the X/Y axis, so there's still plenty of room for more areas under the map

#50 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 15 April 2014 - 15:45

I was thinking that having the majority of the area flat space is kinda wasteful.  Should be sections that act for a certain purpose (like a forest area, displacement/offroad area, etc)

What, I don't think my handwriting can be done through typing, you know.

#51 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 15 April 2014 - 15:50

If there's too much by default in the map, it will create FPS drops since sandbox players spawn their own stuff (Spawning some trees can make a forest whenever someone wants it).  if 12 people play on the same sandbox server, a lot of space is needed. I'm actually concerned that the grass area is smaller than normal due to the huge water area :P

Displacement/offroad area will be created! .. in the 3D skybox. but it's easy to reach :>

Bascally, what's necessary in sandbox are things the players cannot spawn themselves. these are what I can think of:

players can't...

... create displacement/offroad areas

... change skybox height

... create water

... block their line-of-sight to avoid FPS drops (toggle mentioned some players use hangars for that)

... remove world geometry & models (so if it spawns with the the map it will always be there)

#52 Revengekeuh

Revengekeuh

• 1,727 posts

Puking Clouds

Posted 15 April 2014 - 17:04

I like the collaboration idea though. Could we not make say a map with multiple floors?

[_________________|-|________________] <- Flatgrass

|-|

|-|

[_________________|-|________________] <- Rail / road system (city environment)

|-|

|-|

[_________________|-|________________] <- displacements / offroad area's

|-|

|-|

[_________________|-|________________] <- Pool of water w/ underwater only area's (building submarines is fun)

|-|

|-|

[_________________|-|________________] <- LDT Room & spawnplaces

idk, spouting random idea's here

• Pandaboy and Commander like this
76561198009946140.png

#53 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 15 April 2014 - 17:12

I love that idea revenge, but hammer editor's limits allow for about 2 sandbox floors in order to have a decent sky height :/. could cram in a third floor if it's an indoors / underground environment

Perhaps then choose the most useful floors, and make those?

#54 Revengekeuh

Revengekeuh

• 1,727 posts

Puking Clouds

Posted 15 April 2014 - 17:16

We can get flatgrass & terrain area in 1 floor with a decent height.

The rail / road system doesn't need to be that high actually? could make it as if it's some kind of underground tunnel system which people can use as traveling routes

The water area needs decent heights (combining building area + water itself)

then I'd say we just make an LDT corner or something?

76561198009946140.png

#55 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 15 April 2014 - 17:23

what I've currently made is bascially a combination of flatgrass / water / underwater.   The 3D skybox will offer a bit of terrain area. so if that's acceptable then everything except the railroad/city floor and the LDT corner has their space, and those  would fit in the remaining emptyness   :P

another idea is to have a cave-like terrain area you can get to from the railroad floor

• Revengekeuh likes this

#56 user

user

• 765 posts

Regular User

Posted 15 April 2014 - 17:53

The only thing that worries me about a multiple floor design is the low skybox, I remember having a flew planes before and although I don't really have to fly very high, it must still be comfortable to fly above people's heads and have more room to go up if need be (or to make a loop :D)

#57 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 15 April 2014 - 18:35

that's why there should only be one outdoors area in a sandbox map.

the current hammer editor limit allows for a maximum height of around 620 meters. If the outdoors area was a bit more than half of that, you'd be able to fly around 350 meters up into the sky. garrysmod stops rendering stuff further away than that anyway ;p

• user likes this

#58 Maddy

Maddy

• 166 posts

Max

Posted 15 April 2014 - 19:41

I will play this :D

#59 Cyrill Jones

Cyrill Jones

• 2,162 posts

JAH!

Posted 15 April 2014 - 22:07

We would want a tall skybox for aeroplanes etc, if we were to layer it we would want an underground bunker sort of thing and still have the upper part as large as possible.

Inaat : urban ddpat

Inaat : u serios

#60 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 15 April 2014 - 23:05

The bottom area can also be outside. Skybox texture is magic.

The main question is how much aeroplane do you want, otherwise a tall column could suffice.

LDT is LDT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users