gmr_ldt_huntscircuit

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 24 March 2014 - 21:05

I'm going to take on fixing this map up to play nice and to look nice.

My goal is to widen certain areas at/near the start to prevent clusterfucks (the track will mostly be the same width everywhere else), have the S bend to allow corner cutting at the cost of some slowdown (think of smashing through a store like in Flatout 2), and overall the theme will be city/slums.

The spectator area will be a slums sort of area while the track/upper area is a nice cityscape.  The good thing about this map is I can do more and have better optimization capability because this map is possibly the smallest of all GMR maps (that is a race map).

I spent all night messing and fucking with Hammer and how fiddly it is to get this:

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=241873269

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=241873283

It is to be a sort of water dump.  It even has bits of debris that will constantly float through it and be cycled back.

You can't interact at all with the debris, there are triggers to push the debris through the water (which is invisible in this case to allow for the nicer water surfaces), AND it looks rather nice as the centerpiece to the map once I tidy it up a bit and get into the final phases of remaking this map (like textures).

Feedback and suggestions are welcome!

What, I don't think my handwriting can be done through typing, you know.

#2 Catkillerfive

Catkillerfive

• 2,801 posts

doating all day

• Steam:Catkillerfive
  • LocationDalaran

Posted 24 March 2014 - 21:41

I love the idea. If you can, can you make the Water browner or discolor it in general.

76561198037959911.png

#3 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,525 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 22:05

You're a cunt you know that.

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#4 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 24 March 2014 - 22:30

lmao Bob you really don't like updating old maps, do you xD?

#5 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,430 posts

Owner

Posted 24 March 2014 - 23:09

I love the way that water looks. This is going to be amazing!

LDT is LDT.

#6 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:11

I just want to be clear: This is going to be more than aesthetics!  I want to make the track better-suited for racing.

#7 user

user

• 765 posts

Regular User

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:40

Sounds like a solid plan! Good job on fixing so many old maps.

#8 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:00

That wasn't intended.  I didn't even know it was there till you insisted that it was there (even then I didn't quite see it for a bit).

#9 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 25 March 2014 - 22:56

Update on progress!

I've widened another section that racers have a problem with (mainly the faster racers).

It functions to be wider, and visually you are smashing through the store.  I'm going to make it maybe a car showroom or something.  Something that doesn't require a lot of details inside.  There won't be anything stationary and solid inside, of course.  It either can be hit and broken, or stationary and not able to be collided into.

The glass DOES NOT collide with racers.  The upper and lower bars of the windowframes DO NOT collide with racers.  The post that both windows share can be hit, but it breaks upon any physical object hitting it (like a jeep).

To tell you what is fully happening with the glass: Each pane of glass is grouped into 4 sections.  Each section has their own trigger and vphysics_motion that unfreezes and pushes it upon "hitting" the glass (the client activates the trigger, not the jeep or physics).  Each vphysics_motion filters for only the section they are meant to push, so it ONLY affects the glass, it does not affect any other physical object or player.

EDIT: The buttons are placeholders.  I am just showing they can respawn.  They will be killed off and respawn at the start of the race countdown.

• TheMelonMan likes this

#10 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,525 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 23:35

23:33 - [LDT] Hardcore Bob: Dammit
23:33 - [LDT] Hardcore Bob: I was going to do that in a GMR map thinking I'd be the first
23:33 - [LDT] Hardcore Bob: beat me to it you fucker
23:33 - [LDT] Hardcore Bob: cool
23:34 - [LDT] Hardcore Bob: Just nodraw the internal faces though
23:34 - [LDT] Hardcore Bob: I'd select all, apply nodraw to all, then only texture the faces on the surface

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#11 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

• Steam:microlander

Posted 26 March 2014 - 17:23

the glass won't lagg people out will it? because on triple now i can't even run it past 30fps even with the lowest settings

76561198084161294.png

#12 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 26 March 2014 - 18:08

I was getting about 60 on it.  You have to include the fact that GMR is... well GMR.  And no, the glass shouldn't be doing too much of a performance hit.  It doesn't collide with anything except the world, so there is minimal physics calculations on it.

#13 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 26 March 2014 - 18:39

Nice job with it :). It turned out really awesome!

#14 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

• Steam:microlander

Posted 26 March 2014 - 20:14

But Yeah i like the glass idea its awesome any other stuff like that

76561198084161294.png

#15 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:17

Probably not, but there will be another thing or two.

#16 Domnomnom

Domnomnom

• 2,585 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 27 March 2014 - 18:16

Some interesting concepts once again. Can't wait to see what you do with the aesthetics. And this map definitely needed to have the track updated!

Oui oui chevaux

#17 The Meta

The Meta

• 447 posts

Not meant to be helpful

• LocationWales

Posted 31 March 2014 - 20:23

It's cool. But I don't see why the map needs to be updated.

76561197979270420.png

#18 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:08

I've raced on Hunts Circuit ever since GMR first came out.  It was a decent map back then because there was only such a speed you could go.

On LDT, with prestige levels and such, the map is unbalanced against faster racers.  You can blame boosting at the wrong time or not braking, but even that disrupts the flow of the track and can even having other racers rear-ending you.

The areas I'm focusing on are the first and second 180 turns, the 90 degree turn after the first incline, the S-bend after the second incline, and the two 180 turns and inclines that lead to the finish.

TL;DR: I am widening the track at key areas and cutting corners to prevent cluster-fucks, bad turns, and better racing for faster jeeps.

#19 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 06 April 2014 - 21:58

Update time!  I've been detailing finally after becoming confident enough that the track races fine.

Picture-dumping ahoy!

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=246575820

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=246575845

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=246575858

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=246575875

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=246575896

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=246576742

The first two screens are to give you an idea of what the spectator area will be: slums.  I'm going to place a few shanty shacks for players to mess with or whatever.  I'm also going to extend the area by punching out the wall currently blocking it off (that bottleneck to the left).

The third screen is another corner cut.  The grassy sections do slow you down if you drive for too long in them.  This allows for corner-cutting, but not driving through it all as a shortcut.

I actually took a texture and made it into an overlay for the start/finish line (no 1 unit high block start/finish, heh).

Second to last screen is the glass that I've shown.  I re-did the brushwork to make sure it is fine.

The last screenshot shows detail sprite grass on only grass portions of the displacements in the spectator area.  Players interact with it/walk on it with mud/dirt footstep sounds.  Jeeps and any physical prop clip through it and actually interact with an invisible brush underneath.  Pretty much players interact with everything normally, while jeeps have a perfectly flat plane to drive around on.

#20 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:02

Man, that last screenshot is beautiful o:  ..

When I started making GMR maps it was because the current maps on the server looked plain and boring. ... Which means that now I don't have to make more maps, 'cause I can just enjoy yours :'3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users