Propper GMR server/gamemode suggestions

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Neko_Baron

Neko_Baron

• 17 posts

Forum Newbie

Posted 26 February 2014 - 00:29

1) Trash the dull map that empty the server and remove dublicates such and the 2 versions of robotwars and such. Replace them with new community maps or run track testing events so people can quickly see if they have a good idea for a map.

2) Balance the payout per track based on difficulty, I'm preety sure people only play sprint and derby so they can grind cash fast. IE shorter maps are worth $60 a place and the longest maps could be $120 a place.

3) Update the voting system, it was designed for a tiny number of tracks and 4 at a time is not much.

4) Another voting system idea, make it so the 4th or 5th map vote is a demolition map and only race maps the rest of the time to prevent demolition maps being played in sequence.

5) See if anyone wants to add map thumbnails to the maps without on for the vote screen.

If anyones wondering I made GMR Splitter Crasher fix years ago, and yes I would map again but you need to dump the old trashy ones like flash.

Also this: http://cloud-3.steam...E3C4D7C1B8250D/

Serriously? not allowed to image link steam screenshot?

Shows we can still map for GMR, personally if I made another track again after this I wouldent bother with the detail as much but it shows what can be done easily with effort.

#2 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

• Steam:microlander

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:24

5) See if anyone wants to add map thumbnails to the maps without on for the vote screen.
There are thumbnails for each map but they need to be converted

And i have 2 maps i want to be added 

Endurance 2 (With Checkpoints)  http://www.mediafire...durance2_b2.bsp

And Here's ROC http://www.mediafire...ofchampions.bsp

76561198084161294.png

#3 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:39

There are thumbnails for each map but they need to be converted

Where?

If someone sent them to me I could convert them to the proper format. It shouldn't take more than a minute per icon.

... Btw, I don't know why, but someone has messed up some of the icons that used to work by re-naming them on the fastDL.

I only noticed this because I saw that my maps no longer had icons after a fresh install of garrysmod and after joining the GMR server. For example, the icon for Big Donut was renamed to "gmr_bigdonut", but since the map is named "gmr_bigdonut_v05" the icon is useless.

the icons must have the exact same name as the map file or it won't work.

There are tons of invalid map icons for GMR in my materials folder downloaded from the fastDL (mostly icons where the version name at the end has been removed), I don't know who thinks it's a good idea to rename them.

#4 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

Posted 26 February 2014 - 17:09

Where?

If someone sent them to me I could convert them to the proper format. It shouldn't take more than a minute per icon.

... Btw, I don't know why, but someone has messed up some of the icons that used to work by re-naming them on the fastDL.

I only noticed this because I saw that my maps no longer had icons after a fresh install of garrysmod and after joining the GMR server. For example, the icon for Big Donut was renamed to "gmr_bigdonut", but since the map is named "gmr_bigdonut_v05" the icon is useless.

the icons must have the exact same name as the map file or it won't work.

There are tons of invalid map icons for GMR in my materials folder downloaded from the fastDL (mostly icons where the version name at the end has been removed), I don't know who thinks it's a good idea to rename them.

Bob said but it doesn't matter at all about the icons we need maps.

76561198084161294.png

#5 Neko_Baron

Neko_Baron

• 17 posts

Forum Newbie

Posted 26 February 2014 - 17:39

I'll make a load of damn maps just please start trashing the bad ones T_T it kills off half the server players, is gmr_splitter_crasher_fix on the server? I never see it and I cant remember if someone said it had an issues. PLEASE do tell me if it does because I apparently still have the original file and can update it easily.

Biggest issues is the vote system, Im preety sure it doesent consider enough maps played recently or at all.

#6 Fox

Fox

• 1,203 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 26 February 2014 - 17:43

Neko but don't forget, some maps you call trash is focussed on your opinion and not on everyones

#7 Neko_Baron

Neko_Baron

• 17 posts

Forum Newbie

Posted 26 February 2014 - 19:32

Lets get general opinions then on which maps are just toxic and kill the server completly. I've got no problem playing a few map I dont like but some of them are just dire for everyone.

#8 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

Posted 26 February 2014 - 19:43

I Like flat out maps like triple, sprint etc

76561198084161294.png

#9 Neko_Baron

Neko_Baron

• 17 posts

Forum Newbie

Posted 26 February 2014 - 20:25

I'ld rather do that in another topic in the GMR sub section tbh instead of cluttering a suggestion topic. What about the vote system, can it be modified to exclude the last say 10 tracks or something to keep the list fresh?

#10 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

Posted 26 February 2014 - 22:01

I'ld rather do that in another topic in the GMR sub section tbh instead of cluttering a suggestion topic. What about the vote system, can it be modified to exclude the last say 10 tracks or something to keep the list fresh?

that would mean the same maps would get voted all the time 

76561198084161294.png

#11 Daniel

Daniel

• 1,543 posts

GMR Addict!

• LocationEngland

Posted 26 February 2014 - 22:17

is gmr_splitter_crasher_fix on the server? I never see it and I cant remember if someone said it had an issues. PLEASE do tell me if it does because I apparently still have the original file and can update it easily.

Yes that map is on the server.

#12 Neko_Baron

Neko_Baron

• 17 posts

Forum Newbie

Posted 26 February 2014 - 22:56

that would mean the same maps would get voted all the time 

Uhhh I mean it takes the last 10 maps played and does not show them in the map vote, I think you got confused on what I meant because the point is not to have the same maps played recently.

#13 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

Posted 26 February 2014 - 23:34

Uhhh I mean it takes the last 10 maps played and does not show them in the map vote, I think you got confused on what I meant because the point is not to have the same maps played recently.

its best with 4 i dont want 10 its to much of a hassle and say the first ten were good, all the next are going to be shit

76561198084161294.png

#14 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 27 February 2014 - 00:33

If you really want to sort out the bad maps, discussing it on the forums is useless. It has been done several times before with no result.

If they just removed maps 'cause some people discussed it, chances are other people will complain. To make it fair and avoid complaints we'd need some sort of vote or a survey where you can say your opinion about each map.

@Microlander

He meant that the vote would automatically remove the last 10 maps played so they CAN'T be voted for again. ..But IMO that's a bad idea. Each map takes around 20-30 minutes to play through so that would mean the same map couldn't be played again in 4-5 hours.

... Btw, am I the only one who have noticed that some maps appear more often on the vote list?

I see some maps pop up all the time, but I almost never see some maps come up on the vote.

I think the "random seed" is glitched up or something,.

#15 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

Posted 27 February 2014 - 00:44

"... Btw, am I the only one who have noticed that some maps appear more often on the vote list?

I see some maps pop up all the time, but I almost never see some maps come up on the vote.

I think the "random seed" is glitched up or something,."

Drag Comes Every 10 maps or so and ones like death race are every time

76561198084161294.png

#16 Neko_Baron

Neko_Baron

• 17 posts

Forum Newbie

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:31

Because random is random, thats why you should exclude recently played maps or someother inventive system to keep maps varied. Plus its only 30 mins a map if its a long map or everyones camping a demolition map. Or maybe the system is just bugged?

Also some maps have duplicates _ _, like 2 versions of robotwars...

#17 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:23

But it's not entirely random since players get to vote. So if the the people on the server vote for the same map again, then the majority get what they want, which means most of the players are happy. Disabling the last 10 maps is a terrible idea, because it's based on your personal opinion but wouldn't work well on the server. 

I can agree on that we need more than 4 maps to pick from during the vote though, since that system was designed for GMR back when there weren't very many maps in total.

#18 Neko_Baron

Neko_Baron

• 17 posts

Forum Newbie

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:05

If you dont force people to have to pick other maps people just pick the same maps over and over. I dont have a clue how many maps there is and rarly get to play them unless the servers half empty,  not showing the last 10 played in votes was just a suggestion of a number based on me presuming theres supposed to be like 25 or so maps.

Some maps definaly have duplicates though because Ive seen an LDT robotwars and the orange robotwars maps which are practically identical.

#19 Daniel

Daniel

• 1,543 posts

GMR Addict!

• LocationEngland

Posted 27 February 2014 - 21:15

I don't think this is actually getting anywhere. Threads like these pop up all the time about the same thing. I'd suggest maybe adding one of the owners on Steam and talk to them directly about it and then decide what would be the best way to sort out the map/vote issue or go on teamspeak and speak about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users