GMR Map Overhauls

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 10 January 2014 - 19:57

My pitch is essentially this: Take maps like Triple Decker, Desert Circuit, and others from the era of when Pulsar Effect originally had GMR, and give them cosmetic/visual changes. This means there will be no changes that affect racing (no added obstacles and no added brushwork that could change how the track works).

I'm currently drawing out on paper a few sketchups of what to do with Triple Decker. So far I'm thinking a highway that has been outfitted to be a race track.
Any suggestions as to a different theme are welcome!

(I just want to stress the point that the track will play exactly the same (even the ramp, which I could easily make into a busted piece of highway))

I am posting this here because I do plan to keep this updated as I start work on the actual mapping.
  • Daniel likes this
What, I don't think my handwriting can be done through typing, you know.

#2 user

user

• 765 posts

Regular User

Posted 10 January 2014 - 22:28

It will bring new life to those map. Triple Decker is one of my personal favorites and I can already imagine how it will look like if it's textured.

#3 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:41

Exactly. Not only will it be textured, but will make use of prop placement, invisible walls, and maybe some motion like a hanging sign or something.

Instead of a certain section being just wall, think traffic cones and an invisible wall. Looks nicer and doesn't fuck with the original wall (except you won't see it now).

#4 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:10

I agree with this to 100%.

Atm, the geometry we see on triple decker is something that would equal to the invisible collision mesh in any other game.
Part of developing something is not only making the gameplay work (aka driving on geometry), but also creating something that's aesthetically pleasing.

what looks like this during development should look more like this when it's released. The only thing the player will collide with is something like what you saw in the first image, but how fun would it be to drive around on a purple floor with tall purple walls?
But of course most of us aren't skilled enough to create something that visually appealing. But that doesn't mean people making maps should stop developing it and release it as soon as it's playable.
I think that most people are just too excited to get their maps up on the server that they can't be bothered to complete the maps, or perhaps they've run out of ideas. but that's no excuse, there's always an option to make a WIP thread about it and ask for ideas & advice :>.

To sum it up: I really like the idea of making aesthetic changes to maps like Triple Decker <3

Spoiler

#5 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

• Steam:microlander

Posted 12 January 2014 - 13:13

on Triple Decker is it possible if you make the wall invisible so we can see the track a bit more?

• user likes this

76561198084161294.png

#6 Daniel

Daniel

• 1,543 posts

GMR Addict!

• LocationEngland

Posted 12 January 2014 - 20:24

My only addition to Triple Decker would be to fix the bloody scoreboard!!

• user likes this

#7 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 12 January 2014 - 20:39

In response to microlander, one thing I would be doing is lowering the visible wall to about half the height of the jeep.  The rest of the wall will be invisible (and able to be collided into), so yes, you would be seeing more of the track.

• user likes this

#8 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,527 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 12 January 2014 - 23:50

I think someone actually made a version of Triple Decker with a fixed scoreboard. I don't remember who though.

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#9 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:14

My only addition to Triple Decker would be to fix the bloody scoreboard!!

Oh Yeah Forgot about that! ^_^

76561198084161294.png

#10 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:16

I think someone actually made a version of Triple Decker with a fixed scoreboard. I don't remember who though.

There is a version that was on catalyst that had the fixed scoreboard but you could get onto the racetrack with your car if you ride the wall and i think thats what (FIX) means in our version of it 

76561198084161294.png

#11 Daniel

Daniel

• 1,543 posts

GMR Addict!

• LocationEngland

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:50

That was the old version, thats the reason (plus a couple of other things) the newer version was made but in the process the scoreboard became broken D:

#12 Krunder

Krunder

• 323 posts

Regular User

Posted 14 January 2014 - 16:08

You can fix the Triple Decker scoreboard in code. Would you like me to do it later?

#13 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 14 January 2014 - 17:10

Does anyone have any other theme suggestions as to what I could do with TD?  So far I'm thinking to either use Pandaboy's colored textures or make TD seem like a grouping of highways.

#14 microlander

microlander

• 102 posts

User

Posted 14 January 2014 - 21:29

Does anyone have any other theme suggestions as to what I could do with TD?  So far I'm thinking to either use Pandaboy's colored textures or make TD seem like a grouping of highways.

Maybe make it a night version and use street lights

76561198084161294.png

#15 Daniel

Daniel

• 1,543 posts

GMR Addict!

• LocationEngland

Posted 14 January 2014 - 23:57

If you could Ninja, that'd be great :D

#16 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 15 January 2014 - 00:13

I could certainly make it night, just means more time into lighting.

EDIT: Honestly, if I were to make it a night version, it would be lighted as if there is light pollution.  I can't imagine racing on Triple Decker with less light, or even slightly dimmed.

#17 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:47

Considering how wide the road is on triple decker, it would be difficult to light up the entire road with street lights. I'd say stick to a day version.

If it's being re-made with new textures, then I'm not sure the colorful dev textures I made would be the best :P. Couldn't it be just a wide concrete race track with white lines near the edges of the track, and perhaps even a bit of grass near the edges (which would have the same friction as the road ofc since gameplay isn't being changed)?

http://www.virtualr....9/grab_001f.jpg

#18 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 15 January 2014 - 15:53

It could...   I was originally thinking of making it look like the highways in the one scene from The Matrix Reloaded.  Not EXACTLY like them, but similar.

http://dangerjoe.fil...n06_freeway.jpg

#19 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,430 posts

Owner

Posted 15 January 2014 - 17:42

I suggest flyovers/highway intersections

SIIP-Sep0306-06.jpg

LDT is LDT.

#20 Showfur

Showfur

• 444 posts

Showfur

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:06

Exactly!  I was going to at least have a section of highway (that you can't actually get on) crossing over the ramp part of Triple Decker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users