Prop-flying on ttt_forest

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:21

I'd like to make things clear, because there's nothing more unnerving than getting punished because of a rule that was privately agreed on; is using the prop-flying trick on ttt_forest exploiting?

(Details regarding the aforementioned prop-flying if you don't know:
by picking up a brick and putting it under a certain prop while crouching, uncrouching will make the prop elevate in the air, and the player with it. However the player is very limited, since he is forced to always look down and cannot switch weapons and must keep holding the stick to pick up props. Direction is hard to control, and it's very risky to try to land.)

Personally, I think it's not. Exploits offer some kind of advantage to the player. Using this, the player has the possibility to "fly" around the map, but the props being instable, it is very dangerous, and even an experienced player may die from falling quickly.

Important to note that the prop-flying doesn't allow the player to reach any unreachable areas, or even hard to reach. Also important, prop-flying does not make for a good escape vehicles or anything like that. The player in the air is an easy target, his movements are restricted, and he can only travel above regular roads, at the same speed as running players, if not slightly slower.

Finally, I have the feeling the mapper deliberatly added this into this map, as evidenced by: the two props needed being so close to each other; the map being apparently thought perfectly for the purpose of flying since like I said before, no unreachable area may be accessed.

Summary:

Why it shouldn't be exploiting:

1) No advantage to the player whatsoever; in the contrary, it endangers the player greatly
2) Cannot be used to access any areas that would not be accessible otherwise: which in that case would really be exploting.
3) Possibility that the mapper intentionally added the glitch, judging by the previous sentence and the evidenced proximity between the two props needed.

Therefore, it should be tolerated that players use the glitch, which is to their own disadvantage and only for fun, may I repeat.

Edit: The above is for ttt_forest only. Prop-flying on ttt_rooftops is another story. Feel free to discuss ttt_rooftops below though.

Edited by Loadingue, 31 July 2013 - 13:55.

The most patient man in the world

#2 dirtylemonpanda

dirtylemonpanda

• 213 posts

User

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:35

propflying dose allow the player to reach parts of a map which could not be got to anyother way.

an example would be rooftops it allows the player to get the top of the tallest buildings and it can in some cases (on other maps) allow the player to get outside the skybox

it is an exploit because it dose give the player an advantage over other players because they may not know if players can get their so it would give them the advantage of surprise and if ur out of the map players can not get hit so the round would not end

#3 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:37

I'm talking about ttt_forest here, not ttt_rooftops. I think it should be map-sensitive. I'll try to see what I can obtain on rooftops.

#4 woot835

woot835

• 2,647 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:42

Prop-flying is only usable for the purpose of fun only, if someone uses it, there is a very high chance that he will die soon after, since its mostly a one way trip.

An example of this is rooftops, where prop-flying is rather common, but doing so is certain death since there is no safe way down (You will die on the prop you are using if you try to aim for the pool).

It is one of the few fun things left to do since props cant be thrown anymore

EDIT: Dirty, its common sence to slay people that use glitched/exploited areas to their advantage

"Fucking butthole, Fucking ketchup"

- Loadingue 2014

#5 Pandaboy

Pandaboy

• 940 posts

Maps - Models - Textures

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:47

I agree that using something just for fun is one thing, and exploiting is another.
However I would be careful when doing stuff like that even if it's not with the intention to exploit the map.
Because:
1. Having map-specific rules will confuse, there will always be people who will do it on other maps as well and say "But I saw another guy do it and they said it was okay".
2. I've seen innocent bystanders getting killed too many times by people playing with props. It attracts attention because it actually is pretty funny, and as you said, it's dangerous and hard to control.

For me, fun is a big part of the LDT community, so I'd say let people have fun as long as they don't hurt anyone else. ... But if you accidentally kill someone with a prop as innocent, you should be slain for it ;p.

#6 Sir Trigg

Sir Trigg

• 995 posts

Beardcules

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:49

I don't see the problem using it.

- It's a bit of fun.
- It doesn't endanger anyone.
- People doing it can't exactly fight back while doing it and from what I've seen it's not a problem like prop fights were.

However:

- It would be exploiting if they get to part of the map that's inaccessible via normal means and that isn't allowed.

#7 dirtylemonpanda

dirtylemonpanda

• 213 posts

User

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:50

prop flying is not just used for fun it has been used to falll from a hight and kill the player below it is very easy to get down from prop flying on a map like rooftops because their buildings high enough to land on and get down only wounded.

and making it map specific because you would just make it harder for the regulars/trusted/moderators/admins

#8 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:51

Agreed with Pandaboy. Obviously, when you play with a prop, whatever intentions you have, anyone who's hurt or dies because of that prop is your fault.

#9 woot835

woot835

• 2,647 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:55

Dirty, The chances of goombaing someone from that high are slim to none.

"Fucking butthole, Fucking ketchup"

- Loadingue 2014

#10 Mayhem

Mayhem

• 697 posts

Get your facts straight

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:23

Honestly, I barely see anyone getting punished after doing something like this. People usually fall, land or leave the inaccessible area (by jumping down on the crates on rooftops for example). There were a couple of exceptions when people were slain after they had got to inaccessible area - not necessarily by propflying, the roof on cs_assault for example - and had started sniping people.

The decision should be up to the moderator but in my opinion, unless the player is doing something severe or ignoring your warnings, he should stay unpunished.

#11 Commander

Commander

• 1,633 posts

You Win or You Die

• LocationEindhoven

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:16

I agree with mayhem :)

76561197999667690.png

"You better add fox so you can feel normal with him" ~Dr Scheisse

"You know what would suck? If Half life 3 sucked." ~Pie

"This all wouldnt be happend." ~ eddyke1

"Tachibana.♥: Im German remember
Tachibana.♥: Heil Hitler."

Join Dropbox now! :)

Spoiler

#12 bongfeng5000

bongfeng5000

• 2,619 posts

ayyyy

Posted 31 July 2013 - 17:08

Yeah me too

Yeah because I wasn't the was I?!?

raf simons rick owens usually what i'm dressed in
copping wavey garms on the daily

"why would you get mad at a game?" - Marmite

#13 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 31 July 2013 - 17:11

Then it is said. People are allowed to prop-fly in ttt_forest, but on ttt_rooftops, one should ask the moderator in charge, I suppose. Fine by me.

#14 Commander

Commander

• 1,633 posts

You Win or You Die

• LocationEindhoven

Posted 31 July 2013 - 17:28

Why should they ask? as long as they don't go out of places where they can't reach it's ok. Also the moderator / ranked guy who is online will probably notice if he exploits so asking is a not really required imo :P

76561197999667690.png

"You better add fox so you can feel normal with him" ~Dr Scheisse

"You know what would suck? If Half life 3 sucked." ~Pie

"This all wouldnt be happend." ~ eddyke1

"Tachibana.♥: Im German remember
Tachibana.♥: Heil Hitler."

Join Dropbox now! :)

Spoiler

#15 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 31 July 2013 - 19:08

Better safe than sorry.

#16 Patokia

Patokia

• 781 posts

Good Shit

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:50

Wasnt it, youre not allowed to shoot/call out from those places?

How about if somebody prop flies for fun, and he gets on a place where youre not supposed to be (like in rooftops the highest building), you're not allowed to call out, or shoot from that place. If he still does that, you can slay him, as first warning, when he does it again, a 1 day ban?

#17 Danbready

Danbready

• 3,510 posts

The Irish Guy!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 13:31

As long as the prop surfing isn't used to benefit the player in an unfair way then it should be fine.

Religion is like a penis;
It's good to have one, and you should be proud proud of it!
But don't go taking it out in public and don't go around shoving it down other people's throats...

#18 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 20 September 2013 - 20:03

Slight update:

A few minutes ago, Blackheart invented a new rule ("getting stuck in the map celing is not allowed") and used me to slay me on roy_the_ship. I'm afraid he might do it again, is there any reason for it not to be allowed?

#19 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 20 September 2013 - 20:11

Well, of course, you're not supposed to be there. It's glitch abuse.

LDT is LDT.

#20 JJHK

JJHK

• 1,803 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 20 September 2013 - 21:05

Don't be silly, you're smart enough to see why BH did what he did. If it were me, I would have slain myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users