• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jackeh

Jackeh

• 3,570 posts

Forum Regular

• LocationBelfast

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:28

My laptop works totally fine, doesn't heat up too much and keeps pretty cool...until I start a game. The moment CS:S or GM opens, the fan goes mad and it begins its gradual ascent into superheat.

The heat was so bad, that one day it just created a vertical crack up the back vent one day when I was playing TTT. If anyone is interested, this is my laptop:

Dell XPS 15z

I've cleaned out my laptop fan before etc. but it didn't help the problem. With CZ looming up, I was wondering if there was a way I could at least keep it a little cooler. I saw something called a laptop cooling pad, and it looks like it might work but I want to see if anyone else on the forum has had experience with them and if they even work.

Here's a link to one:

http://www.amazon.co...#productDetails

Posted Image

#2 yagwog

yagwog

• 6,303 posts

fucking degenerate i'll post when i want fam ldt is shit sti

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:36

That'd seem to be fine I'd say.

my response to vaping being "cool" tbh fam

"stimulates the same circuitry that was simulated when u sucked on ur mommas titty

faggot"

#3 EarthwormEd

EarthwormEd

• 2,645 posts

Wat is dat?

Posted 07 July 2013 - 13:26

I used to overheat literally every time I'd play a game for a few hours. I recently replaced the thermal grease on my heaksink and took the fluff out of places inaccessible unless the heaksink is taken out, and I haven't overheated one, and the weather is hotter. If you're confident you won't ruin it, go out and buy some paste and cleaning fluid, it was about £8 total for me, and I still have a couple uses left.
Posted Image

#4 Mayhem

Mayhem

• 697 posts

Get your facts straight

Posted 07 July 2013 - 13:40

I have got this one. http://www.amazon.co...P/dp/B003ZMF27G

You can adjust the position of all 3 fans and focus them on hottest spots of your laptop. It works pretty well. I can't tell you the exact difference in degrees but it is significant. I have got only one rant, the pad is too big for my laptop, even though they said it was for 15,4" laptops.

#5 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 07 July 2013 - 14:25

Compressed air -> Dust it out.
If it still overheats: Lift the laptop 1 cm off the desk by putting something below it's feet.
If really needed use a PC fan and cardboard and duct tape to force more air under the laptop.

:D

Make sure that the cooling pad blows air instead of sucking so that it doesn't go against the laptop's own airflow!

LDT is LDT.

#6 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 15:33

I think he said he already cleaned it out, if not, get compressed air and dust it out indeedn.
I'd do everything Psy says before resorting to what Ed says.

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#7 Jackeh

Jackeh

• 3,570 posts

Forum Regular

• LocationBelfast

Posted 07 July 2013 - 16:00

Tried all of those apart from the cardboard thing, what do you mean by it? Can't really imagine what you mean in my head.

Posted Image

#8 Martinmw

Martinmw

• 305 posts

"Hatakaru"

Posted 07 July 2013 - 16:05

I must say, I liked the look of this and as I could do with something to cool my laptop down I have chosen to purchase it. So should expect it in like 5 - 7 working days (so Amazon wise like 20 days).

#9 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 17:32

@Jack

Posted Image

Posted Image

Read more:
http://www.makeuseof...ys-laptop-cool/

Also, here's a cardboard way to lift the Laptop off the surface, just so air can flow more easily:

Posted Image

Imo a bit complicated, you could just put 4 pads under your laptop.
These could even be beverage coasters, just make sure you elevate your laptop at least 1cm.

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#10 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 07 July 2013 - 20:21

Yesterday I prevented my laptop from overheating by putting my phone under it.
I would take a picture but my phone is under my laptop. :D

Changing the 1mm clearance to a 10 mm clearance really helps the thing suck it's air in.

Ed's way is good though, but a bit drastic. Many people won't feel comfortable opening up their laptop and if you're not used to installing custom coolers on desktops I certainly wouldn't recommend you to pull off the heatsinks on your laptop.
However personally I favor doing something like that if it makes the separate cooler obsolete.

LDT is LDT.

#11 Catkillerfive

Catkillerfive

• 2,801 posts

doating all day

• Steam:Catkillerfive
  • LocationDalaran

Posted 07 July 2013 - 22:22

I have a habit of putting something at the middle back of my PC. Either a Video game cover or a Donald Duck pocket book, something wide but not to big.

76561198037959911.png

#12 Max

Max

• 3,257 posts

I like rusty stuff

Posted 08 July 2013 - 00:00

I found these designer spacers for laptops
Posted Image
there are many like these, you can even use them to play catch with your dog
Posted Image

#13 Sythen

Sythen

• 604 posts

I LOVE MY BRICK!

• Steam:STEAM_0:1:7052825
  • LocationBirmingham, England

Posted 08 July 2013 - 14:02

Ed's solution was my suggestion, depending on the age of the machine, its required every now and then to replace the thermal compound on your cpu and gpu (depending on its configuration).

Its not really a drastic action to take, its just a bit more involving, and in alot of cases, cheaper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users