• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BOT Dan

BOT Dan

• 434 posts

Dont tell GLaDOS Im here!

• LocationChavington, UK

Posted 24 March 2013 - 19:01

Recently I've been trying to import some custom textures into my map so that it will look a lot better. However, every time I do, the texture comes up as a pink and black checked mess and failes. I have tried many times and different methods but have failed in both the CS:S and HL2 engines. If anyone has a tutorial that they have used that works or if they know a fix to this it would be highly appreciated, as I have spent ages trying to find an answer.

SCREENSHOT:

Posted Image

Edited by BOT Dan, 25 March 2013 - 16:36.

OgsQ4SS.jpg

76561198054105945.png

#2 Tabole

Tabole

• 1,446 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 24 March 2013 - 19:29

You've probably entered the location of the file wrong. Open the VMT file in notepad and add the correct location

#3 FRAG

FRAG

• 6,275 posts

Not your normal S'H'A'R'K

Posted 24 March 2013 - 19:38

To be honest, this was the only tut I ever needed on the subject as it has everything you need to know

http://www.worldofle...-keithgarry.php

If you have followed everything like in the link then It probably is the VMT file like Tabole suggested.

[FRAGleveldesign.com] "The home of FRAG"

76561197980033738.png

#4 Chrillen

Chrillen

• 196 posts

User

Posted 24 March 2013 - 22:18

Valve need to seriously streamline the texture and material creation process in their next engine.

#5 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:02

I know what you mean. They like user generated content, but don't show they do?

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#6 Chrillen

Chrillen

• 196 posts

User

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:11

Well, they do in some areas. Just not the right ones if you ask me, or at least not in all the areas that matter. Having users make money off having their stuff added to the TF2 Workshop is cool and all, but it seems like Valve have abandoned (or are at least inactive in) the modding scene in favour of smaller customization such as maps and hats.

Source still has an incredibly big modding scene despite practically not being updated since Alien Swarm was released in 2010. That's people modding it in spite of the processes being really outdated. Imagine if the Source engine received the same treatment from Valve in regards to streamlining process as UDK or CryEngine 3 does from their developers. The modding scene would get a huge boost.

#7 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 13:21

Yeah, they don't really like user generated content, they just like crowdsourcing their cosmetics.

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#8 BOT Dan

BOT Dan

• 434 posts

• LocationChavington, UK

Posted 25 March 2013 - 16:39

I uploaded a picture of the texture's window to show you what I mean.
The main problem is, VTFedit won't let me import .JPGs or .PNGs like the tutorial FRAG sent me.

http://www.worldofle....keithgarry.php

OgsQ4SS.jpg

76561198054105945.png

#9 FRAG

FRAG

• 6,275 posts

Not your normal S'H'A'R'K

Posted 25 March 2013 - 18:03

When I met the guy behind the updates to the Source SDK at develop last year he said valve had shrunk the team to about 3 members himself included (which is about the same amount of people working on TF2)

It's a shame really because although he was really helpful and did point me towards the October update which did fix a few things (but not everything) It shows valve are moving there attention elsewhere.

Anyway back on topic.

If you want, send me what your trying to convert and I'll see if it works on my end.

Add me on steam

[FRAGleveldesign.com] "The home of FRAG"

76561197980033738.png

#10 BOT Dan

BOT Dan

• 434 posts

• LocationChavington, UK

Posted 25 March 2013 - 18:18

Also, on the topic of textures, on the Deathrun server, on some maps there is a regular fail on the texture side of things.
A lot of textures (not just for me) go into block colour mode and look like something out of Family Guy map. The textures can also lose their scale and become super small and duplicated, or like in my SP gm_construct the bricks go grey and small?!

I was wondering if this due to Garry failing (again), CS:S failing or the map's texture registry thing not loading.

I know a LOT of people get it on the Deathrun Maps:
Indiana Jones
Steam Works
(I believe it is all the CS:S textures failing)

Posted Image

You can see some textures work an some don't.
This is not every time and has a 10% chance of happening.

Edited by BOT Dan, 25 March 2013 - 18:37.

OgsQ4SS.jpg

76561198054105945.png

#11 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 20:28

It is indeed the CS:S textures failing, there are a couple of things you can do.

1. Verify the game cache of Gmod
2. Verify the game cache of CS:S
3. Make sure you have mounted CS:S in Gmod
4. Make sure you have, once, played CS:S on your current machine
5. Reinstall CS:S
6. Reinstall Gmod

#12 BOT Dan

BOT Dan

• 434 posts

• LocationChavington, UK

Posted 25 March 2013 - 21:17

Thanks, I will try those, today the textures of ALL maps went weird and was a bit annoying!
I will try that out.

Thanks

OgsQ4SS.jpg

76561198054105945.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users