Killing Floor Map [Map Name TBA]

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 FRAG

FRAG

• 6,275 posts

Not your normal S'H'A'R'K

Posted 25 December 2012 - 20:07

So I've recently jumped into the Killing Floor SDK, it's horrid and reminds me of a time when making maps took so much effort but damn it, I'm enjoying it.

I'm still working on a theme for the map, this is more sort of working with layouts and taking KF theory's and putting them into practice. for example Tripwire supply a mapping guide document with the SDK.

Killing Floor Mapping Guide

1) Introduction

Killing Floor is powered by Unreal Engine 2.5, and maps are created in Unreal Editor 3.0. Prior experience with UED will be useful if you plan to start a Killing Floor map as this guide is intended for people with intermediate/advanced knowledge of the Unreal Editor. If you are a complete newcomer to Unreal Engine editing, you should check out some beginner resources before you launch into anything specific to KF. The following are some good places to start understanding Killing Floor's tools.

http://www.angelmapp...s/beginner1.htm
http://architectonic...evel_part1.html
https://udn.epicgames.com/Two/WebHome

Single player story mode isn't officially supported but you are free to use it as you wish. These single player parts of the game are not cover in this guide.

2) Concepts

Designing a map for Killing Floor requires a slightly different sort of thought to say – a Deathmatch level in Unreal. The main things to keep in mind when planning a KF map are:

1. Where will the players be able to set up their defenses?
2. Where will enemies spawn?
3. Where will the trader shops be located?

Q: Where will the players be able to set up their defenses?

A: Killing Floor is a sandbox style game, and players will often gravitate towards defensive points that they feel comfortable with. It’s your job as a mapper, to give them as much choice as possible, and to make sure that these locations are each as balanced as possible.

For example, if I decide to create an enormous tower in the middle of an open area, players are probably going to spend all of their time up there, and never come down. This might be fun for a while, but it will have the effect of giving the map a static and eventually boring feel. The most important aspect of any killing floor map is that it be constantly tense when the wave is underway. And this means presenting players with defensible, but not impenetrable areas.

For example: A small shack with only one entrance, and multiple windows to fire out of is probably being a little too kind to the players! If you add a back door to the shack, the scenario becomes more interesting, because now the players are forced to watch two directions at once, and this increases the tension!

Q: Where will enemies spawn?

A: Killing Floor makes use of “ZombieVolume” actors, to determine what is a good place for a mob of enemies to spawn at. This will be discussed in more detail, in a later section. As a rule of thumb however, you should keep in mind that the more speciman spawns a map has, and the more interesting and sneaky the places they are, the more exciting the gameplay will feel. Vent shafts, roof tops, windows. All of these are better places to spawn specimens than just right there on the ground!

Q: Where will the trader shops be located?

A: The “Trader” in Killing Floor provides players the opportunity to upgrade their arsenal or get rid of junk they no longer need. Because of this, she is a hugely important character, and critical to winning a match. Every killing floor map should contain more than one trader! If a mapper places only a single trader area, it’s pretty clear where the players are going to be camping when they play the map! This creates stale, boring gameplay; and we don’t want that! Typical KF maps have anywhere between 3 and 5 trader zones, but the actual number is largely determined by the size of the map. So if you plan on creating some massive area, maybe you will want to place five or more spots. The actual process of setting up trader shops will be discussed in a later section of this document.

3) Trader Rooms

As discussed earlier, trader rooms play a pivotal role in any Killing Floor map. When placing them, you should be make sure they are evenly spaced from one another, so that there is one trader room in each major area of the map.

Now that we’ve covered the rules of trader placement, we can look at the actual creation of these areas. It doesn’t matter where a trader is situated (in a room, behind a fence, etc) so long as there is some way of establishing distance between the shoppers and her. It's recommened that you look the TraderExample map in the MappingGuide folder. If you copy and paste the trader and all the objects around her into your map it will allow you to keep an consistent feel with the official maps provided with Killing Floor.

When you have set apart your trader area, you will want to block it off with a mover called TraderDoor. The inside of the trader area will now need a ShopVolume. It needs to take up the space inside so people can shop and it should not extend outside of the room. If it does then players will be able to shop at that trader location even if it isn't active.

The tag of the TraderDoor needs to be the same name as the ShopVolume's event. For example: TraderLocation1. Next you will need to add six Teleporters so people still in the shop can be warped outside when the trading time has run out. These Teleporters need to be placed just outside of the TraderDoor.

Actor → NavigationPoint → SmallNavigationPoint → Teleporter

In the ShopVolume's properties under ShopVolume set the URL to the same name as the tag of the teleporters. For example: TraderTeleport1.

For the players to be able to navigate easily to the trader locations you will need to set the pivot of the ShopVolume to near or exactly where the trader is standing. You will also want to make sure there are path nodes leading up to the TraderDoor.

It's very easy to make OP areas in KF I've learned, you need a good balance between vantage points high and low that also allow you to be fucked over if you panic too much.

Anyway, here's my progress so far, it's not much but I want to keep at this and see what it turns into.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lighting is a weird one in KF though, any normal low light you try to add seems to bleed like a mofo unless you saturate the fuck out of it, anyway that's it for now!

[FRAGleveldesign.com] "The home of FRAG"

76561197980033738.png

#2 Fox

Fox

• 1,203 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 26 December 2012 - 19:33

Well it looks good but with the ZED spawning rooms i think the passes are too small easily the ZED's could get you and you die(from my opinion).

#3 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 26 December 2012 - 23:38

To be honest FRAG, Killing Floor is a theme on its own. The maps are all similarly themed in a way.
Sure there are setting differences, but they all have grim and dark underground parts regardless. :P

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#4 Domnomnom

Domnomnom

• 2,585 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 27 December 2012 - 17:18

Looks decent for such a horrible SDK :)
Oui oui chevaux

#5 FRAG

FRAG

• 6,275 posts

Not your normal S'H'A'R'K

Posted 27 December 2012 - 17:22

I know KF has a theme of its own but I'd like for this map to sit somewhere in it's universe (Like a london lab or something) that's what I kinda meant with that.

At the moment though it's very much brush work, you have so many things to contemplate when making an area it's mind blowing :P

[FRAGleveldesign.com] "The home of FRAG"

76561197980033738.png

#6 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:05

kf_sharktank

Eh? :D

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#7 Max

Max

• 3,257 posts

I like rusty stuff

Posted 28 December 2012 - 15:48

How about a nuclear power plant?
You should try something new.

#8 Catkillerfive

Catkillerfive

• 2,801 posts

doating all day

• Steam:Catkillerfive
  • LocationDalaran

Posted 28 December 2012 - 20:13

Maybe you can recreate some Source map into the Unreal engine or is that to lazy?

76561198037959911.png

#9 The Time Rider

The Time Rider

• 1,376 posts

Retard.

• LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:36

Gimme pls
"There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race and finish the farce" -Mark Twain
“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.”-Mark Twain

#10 Mr. Klok

Mr. Klok

• 128 posts

Mr. Klok

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:10

How about kf_dead-revenge as map name?
Just something that jumped up in my mind :)

#11 bongfeng5000

bongfeng5000

• 2,619 posts

ayyyy

Posted 03 January 2013 - 14:12

Do something like st.pancras station or something

Yeah because I wasn't the was I?!?

raf simons rick owens usually what i'm dressed in
copping wavey garms on the daily

"why would you get mad at a game?" - Marmite

#12 Merry

Merry

• 805 posts

Not Mary

Posted 03 January 2013 - 14:13

It has to be a 2spooky name to fit it. Something like underground or submerged.

#13 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 15:31

kf_leviosaaah

#14 Max

Max

• 3,257 posts

I like rusty stuff

Posted 04 January 2013 - 17:24

^that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users