It's been done before at Facepunch and Mapcore
The idea is simple: Make the best map you can manage using only up to 20 brushes!
There's a couple of ways to do this. Some communities made it into a contest, others liked to keep it as an experiment.
Since we're not THAT big of a community, and we're not a community that revolves around level design as well. This challenge is going to be a little less strict than others.
The rules, regulations and everything that's posted in this thread is open for debate.
This is what I had in mind so far:
- You can not use more than 20 brushes
There is no limit on the amount of faces, however.
- We're going to stick with Source SDK for this.
No other engines, no L4D2 or CS:GO either. Otherwise people with the CS:GO editor will have the prettiest maps by default.
- Don't merge multiple brushes/solids into a single one using any kind of tools or plugins. This challenge's point is to work with a strict limit.
In short: don't be a smartass and try to exploit the rules. Use 20 brushes.
If you found some way to get massive detail into your map by exploiting the rules, you will be disqualified.
- No props/models, kind of.
Because this rule is kind of strict, but also somehow loosely interpreted by other communities, I'm not sure what to do with this one. I suggest that you can use some props as long as they are not shaping your map. I also suggest that every prop counts as 1 brush.
- Each face of a displacement counts as 1 brush.
(so for instance, a cube turned entirely into displacements would count as six brushes.
- Special tools brushes (nodraw, clip, hint, skip, etc.) are free as long as the player doesn't get to collide with them in the level.
- Custom textures allowed.
- Unlimited lights/cubemaps/sounds/postprocessing entities.
- Unlimited gameplay entities. (Flags, weapons, ammo, player spawns, vehicles, etc.)
Since it's only 20 brushes, a short deadline shouldn't harm anyone.
The deadline shall be this Friday, 22:00.
Post your entries in this thread. Make sure you have one overview shot and one beauty shot.
More screenshots are allowed, but make sure you have at leas those two. You're also allowed to replace the screenshots for a YouTube video.
I say: multiple entries are allowed.
Just hand them in on time. And make sure to name them.
You will need to supply a download link to a .rar containing a .vmf and .bsp as well, to prove that you completed the challenge.
Good luck to all!
Edited by Hardcore Bob, 09 October 2012 - 17:46.