#23 Unforeseen Physics

Unforeseen Physics

• 2,086 posts

Our last German

Posted 04 September 2012 - 14:29

Brace for war.

Challenge accepted.

iPad is a toy.

Thanks for handing all the bullets over.

Soooo, how productive do you feel sitting at your home PC playing video games?
I'm already earning money with this little board of shiny toyness (which is the main reason I bought it for).

#24 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 15:07

Soooo, how productive do you feel sitting at your home PC playing video games?

Well, actually...

Posted Image

(Not really tho)

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#25 ManyPopes

ManyPopes

• 1,528 posts

Thirtysix

Posted 04 September 2012 - 16:11

how productive do you feel sitting at your home PC playing video games?

This is irrelevant

I'm already earning money with this little board of shiny toyness

You could also do that on a PC (or a Mac), with more complex software.

#26 Unforeseen Physics

Unforeseen Physics

• 2,086 posts

Our last German

Posted 04 September 2012 - 17:24

This is irrelevant

Unless you'd like to lead a stereotypical, "seen-it-hated-it" discussion, it's exactly the head of the nail since things are exactly what you make out of them. How you use and utilize them. I would argue that your average houshold PC is used for more nonsense than many iPads / Tablets out there.

You could also do that on a PC (or a Mac), with more complex software.

Oh right, so facilitating things and reducing complexity (which should always be a developer's goal) doesn't count all of a sudden.
How about saving money on studio equipment?
Like Drum Pads, amplifiers, Synthesizers, mixing desks etc...
You can replace virtually any of those with an app or two. And they're getting better by the year.

#27 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 04 September 2012 - 17:41

That last bit is not true. An app does NOT nearly come close to the quality of the dedicated equipment.

LDT is LDT.

#28 Unforeseen Physics

Unforeseen Physics

• 2,086 posts

Our last German

Posted 04 September 2012 - 17:56

How do you know?
Have you tried either?

#29 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 04 September 2012 - 18:53

Because equipment costing thousands cannot simply be replaced by an app. There is no reason to assume that an ipad with that software can equivalent quality, and plenty of reason to assume the opposite.

Like how the software makes scratch imitation noises instead of actually scratching the audio data.

I'm not saying it is crap, I am saying that it simply can't beat professional soft and hardware.
The quality is high enough for general consumers playing around with audio, but not for professional productions.

LDT is LDT.

#30 Loadingue

Loadingue

• 5,695 posts

Never ever

Posted 04 September 2012 - 20:11

playing around with audio

=>

iPad is a toy.

Boom.
The most patient man in the world

#31 Unforeseen Physics

Unforeseen Physics

• 2,086 posts

Our last German

Posted 04 September 2012 - 21:46

Just for playing around. Is that so?

Well, you'll be surprised to learn that the lead composer of WoW actually used MS for starting compositions.
While the final product may have not been produced with it, the app was as of that moment irreplaceable to him, as he could sketch out his ideas in a sophisticated way wherever he went.
There are many blockbusting music-hits out there which were created on iPhones (not saying I like them, but hey).

Because equipment costing thousands cannot simply be replaced by an app.

While that may be generally true, some of the equipment costing hundreds can. Seriously.
Bear in mind that the iPad isn't necessarily to be used as a standalone device on its own. You can hook it up to whatever compatible device you choose.
Like an old MIDI keyboard which is just sitting around. Connect that to your iPad, grab NanoStudio and you got yourself some badass synthesizer with touchscreen, sampler, a wide range of effect buses, wave editor, sequencer, mixer and whatnot. And you can take it anywhere with you.

Posted Image

Or use it as drum pad. Just plug it into your computer and control your drums with the iPad rather than a bulky, expensive hardware drum pad controller, which, by the way, generally has considerably less features.

no reason to assume

plenty of reason to assume

Again, have you tried it?

It's new and it's unfamiliar. That's why people make assumptions. I haven't heard one logical example yet of why iPad software can't be used for (if at least facilitating) professional productions. And it has. So why don't we just face its benefits and quit all that assuming?

Also, the app doesn't necessarily have to "beat" another utility in order to be fitting as a replacement. If it serves as a cheaper solution, still providing all the flexibility, yet performance one requires, it takes over. Simple as.
These developments are very young and you can barely predict how things will go on. How people will react to what is being offered.

As for me, I'm currently in the stage of playing around, you may be right about that.
But I just got this baby.

So why don't we just wait it out? See what happens.

#32 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 23:41

lead composer of WoW

WoW had music?
K.

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#33 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 04 September 2012 - 23:45

I haven't heard one logical example yet of why iPad software can't be used for (if at least facilitating) professional productions.

Like how the software makes scratch imitation noises instead of actually scratching the audio data.

If it does not sample the sound and truly scratch the audio, how can you assume it does other things properly?

Software studio's ARE the future, but this isn't it yet.

LDT is LDT.

#34 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:12

What Unforeseen is trying to say is that it's quite useful for a mobile version.
And the 1 in a million guy who likes to compose music instead of playing angry birds on the shitter just so happens to take advantage of that.

#35 Attacus

Attacus

• 2,952 posts

aka Keith.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:03

Call me ridiculous but those scratches have Joe Hahn written all over it. :P :P It might be a compliment, actually.
How many ranked players did it take to deal with a simple RDM? 3-4 Trusteds and a Moderator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#36 Unforeseen Physics

Unforeseen Physics

• 2,086 posts

Our last German

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:02

If it does not sample the sound and truly scratch the audio, how can you assume it does other things properly?

Because the developer never thought of this in the first place. It's not what the app is for. :P
It's like you're askin' a piano player to give you a gritty dubstep beat.
And, for what it's worth, there are actually plenty of turntable apps out there. You can get them for 15 bucks or so. Still a sweet deal, don't you think?

@Keith:
This is pretty funny, as I was thinking about "Session" by LP the whole time I was doing this.

Edited by Unforeseen Physics, 05 September 2012 - 09:25.

#37 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 05 September 2012 - 15:15

Yes.
And the app is worth its money. It is not a bad app and it can do a lot of things.

But it does not match the quality of professional equipment. That is the only point I am making, but it seemed liek you were claiming the opposite, hence this debate. ;)

LDT is LDT.

#38 Unforeseen Physics

Unforeseen Physics

• 2,086 posts

Our last German

Posted 05 September 2012 - 17:15

I think we'd have to look at very specific cases to determine which app exactly lives up to what kind of expectations.
But your point is taken and I enjoy having arguments just for the sake of it. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users