Wanted and Warrants

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 my_hat_stinks

my_hat_stinks

• 4,340 posts

Not a people person

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:17

I was told recently that you need to be 100% sure they have illegal goods before requesting a search warant

So, what's the point in warrant?
If you need to be 100% sure, you've already wanted them, and kicking down doors might as well just be integrated into wanted

I was under the impression you could get a search warrant if you had sufficient reason to believe they had illegal goods (Not stuff like "He's a drug dealer!" or "He's in a mafia!")
Search warrants are then used to confirm they have something illegal, then you can make them wanted

Am I wrong? And if so, why?

#2 ThomEgemcity

ThomEgemcity
  • PipPipPipPipPip

• 5,418 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:37

From my logical perspective, I'll agree with you.

Also, the guy giving out warrants can't be the same cop that's going in... "Hey me I need a warrant" "Sure". There has to be someone asking, Why do you need is? Do you have sufficient reason?
The way I see it, it normally goes like this: "Mayor I need that warrant" "Ok" ... Where is the reason? Who asks? No one.

#3 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:29

Agree, it is one of the reasons I don't like darkRP.
While we are on the subject, I think the arrest stick should be able to WANTED a guy from long range simply by right clicking (or reload or something)
It is so annoying how you see a criminal doing something, and then he runs off, and you first have to go to the menu to wanted him before you can arrest him.

LDT is LDT.

#4 my_hat_stinks

my_hat_stinks

• 4,340 posts

Not a people person

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:42

While we are on the subject, I think the arrest stick should be able to WANTED a guy from long range simply by right clicking (or reload or something)
It is so annoying how you see a criminal doing something, and then he runs off, and you first have to go to the menu to wanted him before you can arrest him.

Yeah, I find that annoying too
Someone broke into the police station and ran upstairs, I had just enough time to make him wanted before I was shot in the head...

How about we move all the arresting stuff into one item, the "Police stick"?
Left click arrest, right click release from jail, reload for quick wanted

The reason could be something like "Wanted by police stick" or something, the wanted guy should already know what he done since it's an instant wanted anyway

#5 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 21 April 2011 - 13:13

Agree. Do it.

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#6 Domnomnom

Domnomnom

• 2,585 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 21 April 2011 - 14:09

But thom, what if there's only one police officer on?

Also, if somebody gives you a tip-off like "that guy has a coke shipment. He gave me one" is that enough to warrant them?
Oui oui chevaux

#7 my_hat_stinks

my_hat_stinks

• 4,340 posts

Not a people person

Posted 21 April 2011 - 14:18

Also, if somebody gives you a tip-off like "that guy has a coke shipment. He gave me one" is that enough to warrant them?

It would be, imo, but you'd also have to confinscate the drugs or arrest the guy who told you
(It's a confession :P)

#8 ThomEgemcity

ThomEgemcity
  • PipPipPipPipPip

• 5,418 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 21 April 2011 - 14:38

But thom, what if there's only one police officer on?

That's the problem, for it to work it can't be to cop who gives the warrant, but then who will?

#9 my_hat_stinks

my_hat_stinks

• 4,340 posts

Not a people person

Posted 21 April 2011 - 14:39

That's the problem, for it to work it can't be to cop who gives the warrant, but then who will?

It's the mayor
It's also the mayor's responsibility to ensure the warrants are reasonable

#10 ThomEgemcity

ThomEgemcity
  • PipPipPipPipPip

• 5,418 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 21 April 2011 - 14:58

But what if there s no mayor?

#11 my_hat_stinks

my_hat_stinks

• 4,340 posts

Not a people person

Posted 21 April 2011 - 15:02

But what if there s no mayor?

If there's no mafia leader, do the mafia all have to sit around and do nothing since they have no orders?

#12 Jackeh

Jackeh

• 3,570 posts

Forum Regular

• LocationBelfast

Posted 21 April 2011 - 15:05

If there is no mayor, warrents don't need to be accepted, they instanly get put into action.

#13 ThomEgemcity

ThomEgemcity
  • PipPipPipPipPip

• 5,418 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 21 April 2011 - 15:14

If there is no mayor, warrents don't need to be accepted, they instanly get put into action.

That was kinda what I was hinting at, in that case it get's screwed up, because no one can stop police from getting warrants.

#14 my_hat_stinks

my_hat_stinks

• 4,340 posts

Not a people person

Posted 21 April 2011 - 15:16

That was kinda what I was hinting at, in that case it get's screwed up, because no one can stop police from getting warrants.

You're forgetting that it's roleplay
If you don't roleplay properly (eg if you warrant for an invalid reason, like "His job is a drug dealer!"), you'll get demoted, kicked, banned, or otherwise punshed

#15 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,559 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 21 April 2011 - 16:00

(It's a confession :P)

Yeah, but he could say he already used it, or threw it away. It's something that could happen IRL too, anonymous crime reporting.

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#16 Arex

Arex

• 410 posts

Awesome.

Posted 21 April 2011 - 19:26

The reason you have to have proof/beyond a reasonable doubt (I'm using an IRL term here) to search someone's home is that it's mimiced in real life. At least, in the American criminal justice system, police officers must have PROOF, or SUSPICION BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT to search your house/car. They can pull you over and ask, "May we search your car?" and you can freely DENY them that right, and they won't be able to search your car unless they have an absolute reason to.

There is an option in the DERP settings that will allow you to arrest people without them being wanted, but I find this to be too problematic; you can accidentally arrest the wrong person, and you have minges who will run around arresting everyone. Also, if you die, having someone wanted means that other police officers can go after them (If you didnt want them, they cant, because they most likely didnt see the crime occur and it falls under NLR since you died).

Yes, an "anonymous" tip saying that someone has printers or someone is selling illegal items is a valid reason; however, it must be taken with some common sense: If one drug dealer says the other drug dealer is selling illegal drugs.. I mean, really? I'm not saying I've never done that; I might eliminate business by telling the police officers about what the other gun dealer is selling on the side, but police officers should know the background before they run in and start arresting people.

Warrants and arrests are two different entities, so to speak; Warrants are if you have a reasonable suspicion or reasonable proof (such as someone reported a crime) that someone has something illegal, whereas making them wanted means they have done something illegal, including having illegal items. However, these two things commonly overlap; if someone is wanted and they're inside their house, you need a WARRANT to enter the house, and that's where people get confused. You should not get a warrant to arrest someone, without first having them wanted first. You should not want someone if you want to search their house, etc.

I think the auto-wanting of people is a great idea, although I think some fine-tuning might be necessary. For example, I think it should be like this: Similar to how the advanced wiring system works, if you hit the QUICK WANTED button, you are allowed to pick from a list of generic reasons (Murder, Illegal Weapon, Money Printers, etc) so that it is more specific, and I think it should also say the officer's NAME someone in there, or at least some type of identifier to make it clear.

That's my .02 from reading this ^^

#17 Jackeh

Jackeh

• 3,570 posts

Forum Regular

• LocationBelfast

Posted 22 April 2011 - 15:18

The reason you have to have proof/beyond a reasonable doubt (I'm using an IRL term here) to search someone's home is that it's mimiced in real life. At least, in the American criminal justice system, police officers must have PROOF, or SUSPICION BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT to search your house/car. They can pull you over and ask, "May we search your car?" and you can freely DENY them that right, and they won't be able to search your car unless they have an absolute reason to.

Not like this in Northern Ireland anyway. When the army were still occupying here, you could be stopped and searched without a choice. My mum even got stopped on a random search and they believed she was selling drugs. She has never done anything like that in her life.

Even now, the police set up random roadblocks occassionally, and they will search your car or person without choice.

#18 Domnomnom

Domnomnom

• 2,585 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 24 April 2011 - 13:57

Yeah their are random searches here in England aswell. Don't base DRP on America - it's too free. :L
Oui oui chevaux

#19 ThomEgemcity

ThomEgemcity
  • PipPipPipPipPip

• 5,418 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 24 April 2011 - 18:06

That's bullshit, how can they search you at random? I've never been search before, but if I was ever to be searched, the first thing I would do was ask the officer where exactly it stated that he could search me, if he couldn't prove he was right I would refuse to allow him to search me.
Just because I can.

#20 Blackheart

Blackheart

• 4,704 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 24 April 2011 - 18:40

It's like doing a random quality check of products, although not checking you for quality/standards.

Say you had some illegal drugs and you are warned that you're going to be searched the day before you'd hide them wouldn't you? If it was random you have no chance to.

By whatever rule it is you can search somebody as a cop so long as you state why etc; at least in England.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users