#21 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 18:39

5 minutes? How does that apply to NLR?

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#22 Arex

Arex

• 410 posts

Awesome.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 19:15

New Life Rule - When you die, you forget everything that happened in your previous life. That means that you do not remember who killed you, etc etc. You also may not return to the area where you died for a select amount of time (Normally around 5 minutes, some servers do 2 minutes, some servers do 15 minutes. All preference.)

Ex: If you're a shop owner and someone robs your store and kills you, you may not return to your store for 5 minutes, no matter what; even if they're stealing your stuff, destroying your printers, or raping your churches and burning your women, you may not return for the full duration of the 5 minutes.

#23 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 05 April 2011 - 21:54

That rule would certainly help the NLR. Because without it, after someone dies by thieves, he walks to the gunshop, buys a gun for personal protection and goes home, then sees thieves and shoots them. This can be done completely following the new life rule, but the action is strongly biased as the person playing the game knows that there are thieves in his house and cannot "un-think" of that.

LDT is LDT.

#24 Arex

Arex

• 410 posts

Awesome.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:35

Exactly why there's a time limit; also, using common sense helps too. If you are coming out of spawn and you see 2 thieves walking out of your house with your printers, just let it be and follow NLR. Even when NLR doesnt technically apply, it's usually better to just let things go than to kill someone and get in trouble for it :P

No money printer is worth a ban! :D

#25 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:00

Hold on a sec, I have never thought of the idea of a NLR with a certain "don't go there within x minutes" rule attached to it, and I kind of like it.
However, if people are breaking into my house, isn't the first thing I do when I spawn to go to my house? If I had any class with a weapon or the ability to buy one with F4 I would totally go there and pull my gun out as soon as I see them.

I've played on RP's where people didn't do this much in the first place, they DID use common sense, I had a shop which openly sold drugs, and I had a huge sign above it, however, the two policemen on the server were polite enough NOT to bother me after I killed them

I'd say NLR + if possible, try to go somewhere else when you respawn.

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#26 Arex

Arex

• 410 posts

Awesome.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:44

No, you HAVE to set a SPECIFIC amount of time. Trust me, I've tried it a dozen different ways, and setting a definite time (EX, 3 minutes) where you CANNOT return to the area that you died is the best way to do it. However, on my servers, I added an exception clause: If the death was accidental, prop related, or if the person has left your base/house/finished robbing you, then you may return to where you died, as NLR no longer applies.

But yes, if you don't set a limit on the amount of time before they are allowed to return, then people go straight to the gun shop, buy a gun, then come back to their house and kill everyone. It's a serious pain when someone breaks NLR 3 or 4 times, and your raiding team basically has to fend off an army of basically 5-10 people, while trying to escape with printers and such. It's a real hassle; the point is to allow the raiders time to escape without having to fight through an infinite army to do so. After the time is up, if they haven't escaped yet, they're terrible at robbing people and you should go in and shoot them anyway. ^^

#27 my_hat_stinks

my_hat_stinks

• 4,340 posts

Not a people person

Posted 06 April 2011 - 13:58

2-3 minutes should be more than enough (As long as there's no stupid timed doors locking them in)

Any longer than that, and the theif will just keep returning untill NLR runs out, which is a bit unrealistic (In real life, would a theif keep returning to a house to take more stuff than he can carry, or would he take the most valuable stuff and run?)

#28 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 15:57

I don't like a 2 minute because that person is BOUND to come back within 2 minutes every time. I think you have to take "likelihood you were going there" into the picture.
You don't randomly break into someone's house, you do that because you know the moneyprinter is there, for such an occasion, 2 minutes wouldn't be enough, since you actually shouldn't know AT ALL.

However, when I'm busy farming in my house, someone breaks in, a gunfight follows, I get killed. In that case it's only pure logic that I go back to my house when I spawn, because that was what I was doing in the first place.

EDIT: 2337 posts!

#29 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 06 April 2011 - 16:08

Either 1 or 2 minutes NLR dont-go-there-yet or else a long respawn timer to prevent people going back home with weapons immediately.

LDT is LDT.

#30 Arex

Arex

• 410 posts

Awesome.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 16:29

Don't add a respawn timer; people don't like just sitting there. For example, while Im waiting for NLR, I can just go somewhere else and do something else.

Bob - If it's a rule, you HAVE to follow it. You can't go back, for any reason, regardless. It's part of NLR.

#31 Blackheart

Blackheart

• 4,704 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 06 April 2011 - 17:33

I don't play RP or intend to.

The NLR sounds like a bunch of bullshit that children made when they rage after being killed when the owner respawns and goes back home to find somebody taking their stuff. I agree with Bob that it is a logical choice, even more so if I was there to begin with.

Whereas, if the robber/thief whatever is killed during a raid then I see a reason for the NLR to be active.

Edited by Blackheart, 06 April 2011 - 21:13.

#32 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 20:46

Hmm, first off, Blackheart, let me start of by saying I used to be biased against RP too, but it eventually seemed way more fun than I expected it to be.
It doesn't have to be "*Bang* you're dead!"

NLR is merely to prevent people who are in rage to come back and retaliate.

#33 Arex

Arex

• 410 posts

Awesome.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 21:04

Indeed. Also, for example, if there's a warrant on my house and there's 3 officers raiding it, if I kill them to defend my house, I don't want to keep having to fend off police officer after police officer (Or thief, in some cases) in order to keep my stuff safe; NLR says that at least they can't come back for 5 minutes.

#34 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,558 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 21:20

But I still think this rule should have an exception of your house or shop. No matter if people are raiding my house or not, my house would be the first place I'd go to.

#35 Blackheart

Blackheart

• 4,704 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 06 April 2011 - 21:36

You just stated what I saw in my last sentence Arex.

There is a difference between somebody raiding a place and somebody coming back home is what I'm trying to get at. Having a set time delay between the latter doesn't seem logical to me. Sure it makes it so people can't retaliate because of rage right away but just doesn't make sense.

If it really was a new life, you'd remove everything and start anew somewhere else or rebuild your shop or house like you've just moved in as somebody else or whatever so it's actually starting a new life.

Somebody give me a quick definition of RP please? :D (Don't say oh you play as a person or whatever. I mean what is RP orientated about. Since I see it as cops and robbers, with the guys inbetween that do nothing.)

#36 Arex

Arex

• 410 posts

Awesome.

Posted 06 April 2011 - 21:59

No, its really not cops and robbers at all.

Im really not arguing about the second biggest rule of RP. Next, you'll try to convince me that RDM is okay? I mean, really. NLR is literally the 2nd most important rule of RP - It promotes fairness and allows bases TO be raided. If you kill someone, you shouldnt have to worry about killing them 4 more times because its "their house" and they're just "returning home".

Trust me, once you're in the situations that these things occur in, then you'll begin to understand why these rules are so important. Im really not going to argue why these rules are the foundations of RP as we know it ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users