Keypad crackers for police?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Deadlycupcakemix

Deadlycupcakemix

• 227 posts

Most hated person here.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:11

What's the point of giving the police keypad crackers if you're gonna disable fading doors? Couldn't you limit the amount of fading doors to like, 1?

The door tool also requires a keypad/button. And, admit it, doors give a way better look than sudden dissapearing props.
Because evil always finds a way.

#22 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,560 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:12

I guess. I still think police shouldn't have battering ram AND keypad cracker. On other DarkRP's, police have battering rams and SWAT have keypad crackers.
We decided to remove the SWAT because it's a total minge job, SWAT is meant to support the police during break-ins etc. But usually people just took SWAT for the keypad cracker and the SMG, then started acting like police.

Can't you just make it cost, 200 or something?

Twitter.png _____ steam-icon-32.png _____ lgfDCxv.png

Game Reviews | Gathers | Send me a PM [/size]

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#23 Deadlycupcakemix

Deadlycupcakemix

• 227 posts

Most hated person here.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:50

I guess. I still think police shouldn't have battering ram AND keypad cracker. On other DarkRP's, police have battering rams and SWAT have keypad crackers.
We decided to remove the SWAT because it's a total minge job, SWAT is meant to support the police during break-ins etc. But usually people just took SWAT for the keypad cracker and the SMG, then started acting like police.

Can't you just make it cost, 200 or something?

I could, but personally I think this is better :/ But if you INSIST x3 I will make it buyable, but for now, it's in the standard equipment.

#24 my_hat_stinks

my_hat_stinks

• 4,340 posts

Not a people person

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:52

The doors are all big and bulky...

Untill there's doors that are as compact as fading doors, I'm completely against the idea of using your entire base to make a single door

#25 Deadlycupcakemix

Deadlycupcakemix

• 227 posts

Most hated person here.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:58

The doors are all big and bulky...

Untill there's doors that are as compact as fading doors, I'm completely against the idea of using your entire base to make a single door

Elevator doors work fine.

#26 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,560 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 13:07

Ok, how about for donators only then?

"If you cry because someone on the internet calls you a retard, you are a retard and should not be on the internet." - Psycix

#27 Domnomnom

Domnomnom

• 2,585 posts

Forum Regular

Posted 03 April 2011 - 13:09

But still, fading doors have uses. For instance in shops for little hatches to trade between. Maybe limit fading doors so that you can only use them in shops for trading hatches or something because I'm with hat on the idea that doors are big and bulky. Please dont remove them just yet.

#28 my_hat_stinks

my_hat_stinks

• 4,340 posts

Not a people person

Posted 03 April 2011 - 13:35

Keypad crackers are now completely broke.

#29 Arex

Arex

• 410 posts

Awesome.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 13:42

Alright, first off.

Fading doors are key to any RP server. It's just fact, fading doors are extremely important. Like I asid, I have to go to work, so Ill finish writing this after I get back, but heres the basics of how to keep it from being abused.

The no metagaming rule, you HAVE to use the keypad just like anyone else, and no numpad abuse, no using numpad to open it. Also set a LIMIT on the amount of fading doors possible (EX 2 or 3)

Police officers should have the battering ram - Let them purchase their keypad crackers from a trader (Gives to the economy) if they need it to enter someone's base.

Admins should have a "fast" cracker that instantly opens doors, in order to check for propblocks and the like.

#30 Arex

Arex

• 410 posts

Awesome.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 13:42

Alright, first off.

Fading doors are key to any RP server. It's just fact, fading doors are extremely important. Like I asid, I have to go to work, so Ill finish writing this after I get back, but heres the basics of how to keep it from being abused.

The no metagaming rule, you HAVE to use the keypad just like anyone else, and no numpad abuse, no using numpad to open it. Also set a LIMIT on the amount of fading doors possible (EX 2 or 3)

Police officers should have the battering ram - Let them purchase their keypad crackers from a trader (Gives to the economy) if they need it to enter someone's base.

Admins should have a "fast" cracker that instantly opens doors, in order to check for propblocks and the like.

#31 Deadlycupcakemix

Deadlycupcakemix

• 227 posts

Most hated person here.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 13:56

Does that take away it's abuse sensitive? I allready see thousands of reports on the forum telling someone made an invalid base.

#32 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 03 April 2011 - 18:31

If we get fading doors rules are like this:
-1 door per opening, fading or not, no fading doors against normal doors
-No remotely controlled doors.
-Fading doors have a keypad on the outside and a keypad/button on the inside, no other wire allowed.
-Fading doors are toggled and may not shut automatically.
-No fake keypads, only one.

If admin sees an illegal door -> clean up ALL of users props.
Simple as that.

LDT is LDT.

#33 Hardcore Bob

Hardcore Bob

• 19,560 posts

I am the one who knocks.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 19:27

Indeed, so button are allowed, but make sure Keypads and Buttons are NEXT to the door and not a somewhere else.

#34 Arex

Arex

• 410 posts

Awesome.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 23:14

If we get fading doors rules are like this:
-1 door per opening, fading or not, no fading doors against normal doors
-No remotely controlled doors.
-Fading doors have a keypad on the outside and a keypad/button on the inside, no other wire allowed.
-Fading doors are toggled and may not shut automatically.
-No fake keypads, only one.

If admin sees an illegal door -> clean up ALL of users props.
Simple as that.

Ill take this one piece at a time

-1 door per [base], although this COULD be a rule, I think more than one is much preferable; think about how long it takes to crack, you'd need time to get from somewhere to defend your base, etc. Give a more reasonable time with 2 doors rather than one ^^

-Define remotely controlled doors; If you mean a button on the other side of the map or a keypad in a similar situation, then I absolutely agree - If you mean a button that's slightly hidden but nearby, then it would depend on the situation I think.

-As for no wire allowed, i think there are situations that might merit otherwise; For example, I have a main entrance to my base that uses regular keypads and follows the rules, and then I have an entrance that only I can use, that is a wiremod keypad (so it cannot be cracked) - Because I have a legitimate entrance into my base that anyone can use, I can freely use that wiremod keypad just for myself, and anyone else can break in using the main entrance. However, I do agree that wiremod should be strictly monitored and rules should be made about its usage.

-Fading doors should not be toggled as a requirement: You can either have them toggled, or you can have them on a minimum hold time as I stated in my rules - EX, they must open for a minimum of 5 seconds (That way, if someone was waiting outside the door to break in, it gives them a reasonable amount of time to sneak in, etc. This time can be made higher or lower depending on the server rules.)

-No fake keypads - I agree completely. Also, no hidden keypads :D

#35 my_hat_stinks

my_hat_stinks

• 4,340 posts

Not a people person

Posted 04 April 2011 - 00:35

-Fading doors should not be toggled as a requirement: You can either have them toggled, or you can have them on a minimum hold time as I stated in my rules - EX, they must open for a minimum of 5 seconds (That way, if someone was waiting outside the door to break in, it gives them a reasonable amount of time to sneak in, etc. This time can be made higher or lower depending on the server rules.)

Don't agree at all
If you're under heavy fire and managed to get the door open, you don't want to have to waste all that time cracking it again just because there was no gap in the gunfire while the door was open
Also, makes it a lot more likely people would be caught in the door

#36 Arex

Arex

• 410 posts

Awesome.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 00:54

Trust me, it works just fine. If you get caught in the door, it's usually possible to crack it again (And asking the person whose house you are robbing to open it isn't terrible. In the sense of good sportsmanship, most people will allow it, or you can kill yourself, etc.)

The alternative of course, is for example, someone robs my house and leaves all the doors open. Now I have a house with all the doors open, someone could steal all my stuff (if the thief left something behind) or for example, if I'm being shot at and someone is trying to break in, opening a door and then having to use ANOTHER keypad to CLOSE the door is very time consuming, especially since I can't return fire while doing so. If the keypad is on a timer, then I can just open it, run through, and guard the door until it closes behind me.

Honestly, I can't remember any RP servers off the top of my head that don't allow timed keypads. Some servers have VERY long hold times (Ex, 10 second minimum hold time) but I can't think of any that have a rule that they MUST be toggled, just because of the convenience factor.

Thanks for your input though :)

#37 Psycix

Psycix

• 11,431 posts

Owner

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:04

Auto closing doors cause people to get stuck and is lame as well. No autoclosing.

Don't worry about a thief leaving things behind and your door open. A open door tells people theres nothing to get anyway, and what's there to steal in darkRP? One moneyprinter and a few guns? If a thief manages to steal stuff, he will steal all anyway.

Also, if you want to have faster door control from the inside, use a button?

Also, I think every entrance needs to be accessible. You can't say, there is 1 way in and therefor I make the other 3 ways immune. You can, however, block a way completely so that it is also not accessible to you.

LDT is LDT.

#38 Deadlycupcakemix

Deadlycupcakemix

• 227 posts

Most hated person here.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:40

Ugh too many big replies.

Fading door tool has been readded since eveyone wanted that.

#39 Arex

Arex

• 410 posts

Awesome.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 13:10

Auto closing doors cause people to get stuck and is lame as well. No autoclosing.

Don't worry about a thief leaving things behind and your door open. A open door tells people theres nothing to get anyway, and what's there to steal in darkRP? One moneyprinter and a few guns? If a thief manages to steal stuff, he will steal all anyway.

Also, if you want to have faster door control from the inside, use a button?

Also, I think every entrance needs to be accessible. You can't say, there is 1 way in and therefor I make the other 3 ways immune. You can, however, block a way completely so that it is also not accessible to you.

What's there to steal in darkrp? Since the money printer limit is set to 10, and you can only carry one at a time.. yeah. He'd have to come back for multiple trips, which is much easier toggled.

Trust me when I said that fading doors with time based closing is a requirement for a popular server. It just is. The only thing we should be doing is changing how long the minimum hold time is. Also, the example I gave was just an example; it doesn't have to be implemented, and if you dont want that idea, then its fine. No wiremod keypads :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users